New Friedman head? Friedman Vintage

The point I was making (which seems to be zipping past and over people’s heads) is that I realize the Smallbox and MetroPlex don’t preserve the sanctity of Plexi tone. I don’t care. An amp without a loop is useless to me.

I think it’s great those amps exist. They serve a purpose. I was just commenting to the other guy that there are alternatives. Those alternatives haven’t been blessed by the almighty Plexi purists, but they’re still a lot of fun.

This is my thing. I really want a plexi style amp, but the ones that interest me the most don’t have a loop, and I really can’t go that route. I use longer delays too much, just would never work for me.

D

Yup, same. But I'm not really a purist, so it doesn't really bother me. Not saying you are, just speaking for myself.

I can’t be a purist and want an effects loop lol - or I guess I sorta could with a fryette power station which has crossed my mind. But I don’t really need any of this and am having a hard time justifying it just for fun. I’m not gonna haul a head, 412, power station rack, pedalboard, etc for most gigs. Most of the time I can’t be bothered to take a combo amp and just run a modeling rig for everything.

Despite all that impracticality, I still want a great plexi style amp with an effects loop…

D

Well, it appears, Dave’s cloning his
personal-PLEXi and that amplifier did not
have an effects loop either🎯
As we of the few know, there’s herds of different “Plexi’s”
Which one?
If you want a loop?
No amp for you😉

You getting one, Carl?
Hope alls well Ed! It’s been a minute. I just got the Suhr SL67 MK II. The Friedman would just be a slightly different flavor. I run the Suhr into a PS2 . The MV in the Suhr is so good I don’t use it for attenuation, just the effects loop. I also got the PS100.
1706658226666.png

First off, those are not all mine. Secondly, I only added the photo to show I do have hands on experience with those amps. Wasn’t waving dicks.

I think the Smallbox is a great amp. The loop works great as well. It’s definitely in the “Marshall” camp. But it is different from the “Plexi” clones by a fair margin. Not better or worse, just different.

I appreciate the snark.
Great to see you here my friend 🍻 I appreciate and look forward to your input and participation here👍🏻

Hope alls well Ed! It’s been a minute. I just got the Suhr SL67 MK II. The Friedman would just be a slightly different flavor. I run the Suhr into a PS2 . The MV in the Suhr is so good I don’t use it for attenuation, just the effects loop. I also got the PS100. View attachment 18079

How does that HX100 stack up?

Black Woman Influencer GIF by Maui Bigelow

Well, I currently have the latest version Smallbox (v3), original SL-67, and a Germino Lead 35. The Smallbox is a cool amp, but sounds nothing like the Suhr or Germino.

Recent amp shootout at my house with a few of my amps and friends’s.

My friend’s Phil X amp is the best sounding Friedman amp I have heard / played to date.

I wanna go to that party! :love

Looking Peeping Tom GIF by 1091

Seems pretty cool. I like that he hasn't gone way too deep with it by adding a ton of toggle switches, just some useful additions to the base formula.

That said, I'd probably want to use this with an attenuator. When he turns down the master you can hear it gets cleaner as the MV goes below 4 and powertube distortion goes away. With the gain already maxed, you would have to compensate for the lack of poweramp drive by adding an overdrive pedal, or maybe the normal channel mixed in.

At 3299 € on Thomann incl 24% VAT, I'm not jumping to buy one as I could buy e.g a Bluetone Plexi 50 with a similar feature set and lighter weight for less money.

Back