New Cab Day

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
Found this low serial number Mesa Oversized come up for a good price.

Speakers are from early 1992. Has the early Mesa cab trademarks: Velcro grille, push in castors (rather than track lock), flat logo badge, 3 jacks on the jackplate), smooth (non-elephant) tolex.

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

Early 90s V30's, very cool!

Tell us how they sound compared to other eras of V30's you have.
In the room, very much like any other 8 ohm V30 loaded Mesa cab to me, its pretty hard to gauge the nuances until they're under the mic. Not sure when V30's became available to other manufacturers to use (they were originally an OEM for Marshall), but I imagine these must have been quite early V30 (as in with the label/non-Marshall) speakers. Definitely conjures up the magic when paired with a Rectifier. I'm imagining they'll have that kind of airy top end rather than the pointy kind that I associate with ones from mid 2000's onwards. Will post some clips soon.

That's very cool. What's the red snakeskin covered Marshall sitting beside it?

Its a 1978 JMP2150, previous owner had it re-tolexed by Marshall at some point. Its a sort of experimental oddity from Marshall; I believe only around 500 were made and they were mail order only. Plate driven EQ (rather than cathode follower), post phase inverter master volume, 1x12, 100W. There's a Park amp (Rock head 1210) that is quite a similar circuit, guessing they shared the same PCB and components.

Back