NAD Peavey 6505 Original 1992

bikescene

Roadie
IMG_6425.jpeg
I took delivery of a 6505 1992 today. I only had about 15 minutes to play through it to make sure it worked. I played it through my 2x12 with a V30 and CL80. I enjoyed what I heard with the TMB knobs at 5 on both channels.

I mainly own smaller, lower gain amps. I am liking the change of pace with the higher gain. I thought about going the modded Marshall or Rectifier lane a few months back, but the 5150 has always an amp I wanted to check out. Chugging on palm mutes is very reminiscent of the many clips I’ve heard.

The IEC C14 socket doesn’t feel as solid as I’d like. I wish it screwed into the chassis. I’ll just keep a cord plugged in to avoid the wear and tear.

I’ll need some time to learn the EQ. After playing single tone knob amps for a while, having the preamp EQ and power amp EQ in real life is a bit to keep track of. And a completely different experience than tweaking a model on a screen.

I put up an SM57 on my cab for a short time. I’ve got no idea what I’m doing yet. First few seconds is my V30, 2nd half is a CL80. My LP has a Wolfetone Dr. V, so my guitar is a bit bright and lower gain.

I am a fan of these old Peavey tube amps. I still have one of the first JSX 2x12 combo amps that was released. When I went to the shop I ordered it through to pick it up they asked me if we could unbox it and plug it in. I said hell yea we can. After they heard it the owner told them to order one in for stock. The Crunch channel on it is a sound I really love. The clean channel is so clean and you can't make it break up. It takes pedals really well. I have played a ton of gigs with it.

I also still have a Triple XXX 1x12 combo. The Triple XXX is the amp that the JSX was based on. I think there is a connection somewhere between the Triple XXX and the 5150/6505 amps. I remember getting to plug into a 5150 full stack in the same shop I bought the JSX from when they first came out. Those amps were great, especially a full stack.

I feel like this is an amp I should have and really have no logical explanation why I don’t. (And I’ve been saying that for years) :ROFLMAO:

I am a fan of these old Peavey tube amps. I still have one of the first JSX 2x12 combo amps that was released. When I went to the shop I ordered it through to pick it up they asked me if we could unbox it and plug it in. I said hell yea we can. After they heard it the owner told them to order one in for stock. The Crunch channel on it is a sound I really love. The clean channel is so clean and you can't make it break up. It takes pedals really well. I have played a ton of gigs with it.

I also still have a Triple XXX 1x12 combo. The Triple XXX is the amp that the JSX was based on. I think there is a connection somewhere between the Triple XXX and the 5150/6505 amps. I remember getting to plug into a 5150 full stack in the same shop I bought the JSX from when they first came out. Those amps were great, especially a full stack.
I’ve considered those amps in the past, just never pulled the trigger. Around that time, I looked into the Ultra series too, which I think is related to the XXX and JSX.

I feel like this is an amp I should have and really have no logical explanation why I don’t. (And I’ve been saying that for years) :ROFLMAO:
Now that I have the amp, I don’t know why I didn’t get one sooner.

I’ll need some time to learn the EQ. After playing single tone knob amps for a while, having the preamp EQ and power amp EQ in real life is a bit to keep track of. And a completely different experience than tweaking a model on a screen.

I put up an SM57 on my cab for a short time. I’ve got no idea what I’m doing yet. First few seconds is my V30, 2nd half is a CL80. My LP has a Wolfetone Dr. V, so my guitar is a bit bright and lower gain.

No joke, I almost always dial in any 5150/variant by putting everything on 6 and tweaking from there. I know I’ve set up for a gig, put everything on 6 and played the gig without even checking shit, pre-gain/BMT all on 6 with a boost in the front = chug town.

5150=

Bass 7 Mids 1-2 Treble 5-6 MV 2-3 Resonance 6-10 Presence 8-9

Gain to taste. The only time I turn the mids up is for guitarists that use weird pickups. The trick with these amps is to not run the master volume too high, all the useful tones are when the amp is running quieter.

Not to be the quibbling guy, but wasn't the XXX actually the George Lynch Signature Amp that fell through
with Peavey? :idk

I’ve considered those amps in the past, just never pulled the trigger. Around that time, I looked into the Ultra series too, which I think is related to the XXX and JSX.

Now that I have the amp, I don’t know why I didn’t get one sooner.

James Brown is a Legend! There are some great interviews on Youtube where he breaks down
the lineage, and chronological timeline of the amps---from the VTM to the Triumph to the
Ultra, Ultra Plus, 5150, 6505, XXX, JSX, and others.

The dude is an icon! :chef

James Brown is a Legend! There are some great interviews on Youtube where he breaks down
the lineage, and chronological timeline of the amps---from the VTM to the Triumph to the
Ultra, Ultra Plus, 5150, 6505, XXX, JSX, and others.

The dude is an icon! :chef
Always wanted to try one of his Amptweaker pedals as well. Dude just knows the tones :satan

I believe he was hired back by EVH/Fender and sold his Amptweaker Brand. He's
designing and consulting with EVH. The new lineup of EVH amps (Iconic) has his hand
all over them.

I always used to put a 57 about 6 inches away from a speaker slightly off center of the cone.
Eventually I added a Beta57 on another speaker with the same idea.
Sounded pretty good.

My volume was on 4.

Back