How important is stereo to you?

• Must have stereo

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Nice to have

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • I prefer mono

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
Stereo only works if it’s mixed in Doubly.

jfssaebes9al.jpeg

Yes, anything before Amp is Mono, after amp is stereo including time based effects

View attachment 22234

And again as in all things no right or wrong just preference, although I do get and understand in a Live gig on stage context Mono is best
I don't think there's much point in using Cab in stereo input mode unless you are using two amp blocks into the same cab block, have stereo fx between amp and cab, or some other reasons for routing a stereo signal there.

I wouldn't use stereo for a lot of rhythm parts, but when I was in a 3-piece band, only guitarist, stereo did 2 things- in mono parts, it made those parts of the songs sound tight, but in the right places, it made the sound much fuller. It worked very well. And the contrast between the 2 made the band sound better. I used to use my wireless to go out front and check to hear how it sounded live. Even in small places it sounded amazing.

I used all rack gear, so the extra piece was basically just a 2nd 4x12 cab.

Stereo is great when using a modeler or with a preamp (analog or digital) into a stereo poweramp. Unfortunately running into two discreet amps from a pedalboard setup usually results in phasing issues. Even when flipping the phase on one side there may be slight residual phasing problems that deteriorate the experience.

Also a large number of venues don't use stereo PA's so why complicate things.

I like my electric guitar sound completely dry and mono when playing, it's mostly rock and metal.

Recorded music is a different matter, when I think of Gilmour's tone (for example) I think processed guitar sound that suits the song perfectly, it's not a question of dry/wet/mono/stereo in this context but what the song needs.

It's not that they don't have stereo capable gear, it's that in a lot of cases they don't utilize the stereo options.
I did FOH sound a number of times at a local club when I was younger and just trying to maintain a consistent
volume balance of a loud rock band using 16 channels is hard enough.

NO FREAKING WAY would I have wanted to have to deal with stereo placement and spread!
It's a room full of buzzed revelers wanting to party and rock, not an audiophile listening party. :headbang

Last edited:
Like most things, it all depends on the context for me. At home I want the Stereoz for
max listening pleasure. With a band it can be utterly obnoxious and overkill---especially
if other instruments are in play like additional guitars, or keys.

It's not that they don't have stereo capable gear, it's that in a lot of cases they don't utilize the stereo options.
I did FOH sound a number of times at a local club when I was younger and just trying to maintain a consistent
volume balance of a loud rock band using a 16 channels is hard enough.

NO FREAKING WAY would I have wanted to have to deal with stereo placement and spread!
It's a room full of buzzed revelers wanting to party and rock, not an audiophile listening party. :headbang

Yup. Even these days you give a FOH Engineer two XLRs for guitar and they be looking
at you like, "Oh, you one of them guys, eh?" :hmm

Obviously, if you are a national or international act and have some pull this is not an
issue. If you are anyone else, then Mono it is and will forever be. :cop

Yup. Even these days you give a FOH Engineer two XLRs for guitar and they be looking
at you like, "Oh, you one of them guys, eh?" :hmm

Absolutely!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

This is seating at Humphreys here in SD where Crimson is playing.
How you gonna mix stereo and please everyone with this arrangement?

Tori-Amos-Concert-Review-Unrepentant-Geraldines-Tour-2014-San-Diego-Humphreys-Concerts-By-The-Bay-Outdoor-Amphiteatre-06.jpg

1,000%
Why don't they have stereo?
Cause it's actually detrimental to many in the crowd who aren't seated in/near the stereo field.

Eqaul+Triang.jpg
This isn't really relevant to non-near-field monitoring though? Yes, stereo can be problematic in some venues with some speaker arrangements....but I don't really want movies to collapse to mono anytime soon, even if I'm sitting on the right isle.

Back