Ik multimedia Arc Studio - ARC 4

dean701

Roadie
Very tempting indeed.
I've been using an inline PEQ for years.
Might be time to migrate to this
My only gripe is the ambiguous naming for the emulated monitors.

@IK Multimedia are you able to divulge any more info on the monitor choices in the drop down? Things like yellow 5 are a little too generic. Like the video above, it doesn't really help if the names are so vague that no one knows what they are. thanks

The lack of an SPDIF input is, in my opinion, a huge misstep for such a device. If it had one, I‘d definitely buy it. But I just don‘t want the additional AD/DA conversion. And please spare me the comment that IK Multimedia claims a latency of just over 1 second. I still don't want it.

This looks really interesting. Previous solutions required some software to be running on your computer ( aka more latency ).

I'm not afraid of latency when mixing. Heck, I used to have so much outboard gear, I'm surprised the audio signal ever came out at all. I stand 10 feet from my amp when I play so there's 10ms right there. Regardless, this is looking great to replace my rack PEQ. I already have ARC 3 and I do like it but hardware is more my style. I always did a hybrid solution where I had ARC measure my room then I would manually adjust with my hardware EQ. It never made sense to me to only have a flatter response when using my DAW via the plug in. I like to have it on all of the time

The lack of an SPDIF input is, in my opinion, a huge misstep for such a device. If it had one, I‘d definitely buy it. But I just don‘t want the additional AD/DA conversion. And please spare me the comment that IK Multimedia claims a latency of just over 1 second. I still don't want it.
Yeah, I’m not really comfortable running my D/A into these when there’s such an enormous gulf in price between the 2.

SPDIF would have been useful. TBH, I wish it had several sets of outputs (that can have their own calibration) and some monitor controller features (maybe a headphone out too). I’d need 3 of these in my studio, and if I wanted different calibrations for with/without a sub I’d be in trouble. I’d love to believe that this can compete with Trinnov but I know ultimately if I want some kind of HW solution, Trinnov makes a lot more sense and is way more reputable.

Think I need some assurances from IK that they’re a company worth spending money with too. Long suffering customer of theirs for many years and have seen what they’re like time and time again.

Having purchased total studio 4 max for next to nothing, at this point IK doesnt owe me anything.
Every time I mix something, I make 10 variations then go to the car, go to the TV, go to the home stereo and the phone. If the hardware saves me some of this, it's worth it to me.

When it rearranges your room, what does it do with all the crap it takes outta there ?

:unsure:

Ahhhhh, I assumed you needed the hardware to get the initial measurements then the EQ in the software handled the corrections after. It'd be cool if that plug-in could just be loaded into a DAW where the correction could be applied there.

I don't really care about latency when mixing, or maybe I just haven't experienced it enough for it to be a concern to me. I wouldn't bother having this on for tracking.

Ahhhhh, I assumed you needed the hardware to get the initial measurements then the EQ in the software handled the corrections after. It'd be cool if that plug-in could just be loaded into a DAW where the correction could be applied there.

I don't really care about latency when mixing, or maybe I just haven't experienced it enough for it to be a concern to me. I wouldn't bother having this on for tracking.
It can.
The arc 3 and 4 plug in does all the lifting.The hardware is just an eq loader.
Arc software along with the mic records and analyzes. The plug in applies the eq and loads into the unit. There are 3 versions. Software only for those with their own mic who only want the plug in. One with a mic and the plug in and finally one with the hardware

Last edited:
Having purchased total studio 4 max for next to nothing, at this point IK doesnt owe me anything.
Every time I mix something, I make 10 variations then go to the car, go to the TV, go to the home stereo and the phone. If the hardware saves me some of this, it's worth it to me.
Stop doing this. Get slate VSX. Trust me on this.

Stop doing this. Get slate VSX. Trust me on this.
1708890099768.png

Rarely do I agree with him, but this time I do.

Back