I need an interface

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Instead of using whatever modeler on hand at the time. I need something dedicated that won't get taken to band practice or gigs on a pedalboard every other week.

This is about as fun as shopping for that acronym we don't use around here :oops: :bag

I have the 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2. It's just "okay" I suppose, especially for the price. Audio quality is not amazing. I've been considering getting a Motu to replace it. Also interested in recommendations for an upgrade that avoids eye-watering prices (maybe 2x Scarlett price?).

Last edited:
@James Freeman Is the 3rd gen Scarlett a significant improvement over the 2nd gen? Do you have a 3rd gen?

It looks like the 3rd gen has a higher dynamic range and gain range. Anything else? Improved converters?

Last edited:
Speaking of eye watering prices! Looked at the Axe I/O with the thought of Tone-X down the road but it seems a little more $ than I feel like dropping right now.
In my experience, PreSonus interfaces offer good value for the money. I‘d recommend the Studio line or - if your computer has a thunderbolt port - a Quantum.

I have a Motu M2 hooked up to a PC and monitors at all times for plugin work. Really nice to just connect cable and jam/record whenever.

I have a 2nd Gen Scarlett (edit: 18i20) and only complaint I have is the software disconnects from the hardware sometimes

first generation has level issues ... Is that a thing of the past I assume?

Probably? Otherwise it would not be as popular.

@James Freeman Is the 3rd gen Scarlett a significant improvement over the 2nd gen? Do you have a 3rd gen?

I don't know, I'm still rocking a firewire Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP from 2009, which does everything I need and then some.
I've added a Firewire PCIe card so I could use it, the Firewire standard is redundant these days but the Interfaces from that era were top notch, still are.

That's why I suggested Focusrite, I've had only good experience with those, also, features like loopback and customizable mixes and output routing are a must for me, I will be looking for equivalent features in interfaces if I'll ever need to replace my current Focusrite.

So deep diving on this. My desired specs:

External power
32 bit/192
USB 3.0
Good onboard metering

Steinberg UR22C meets these requirements. Other than the what looks to be bad/bordering on non-existent onboard "metering". Zero ideas if anything beyond external power requirements is TRULY a necessity vs. picking something running 24bit on USB2.0 protocol
:unsure:

@JiveTurkey I was looking at that UR22C and more than one review on the internet mentioned that the D-PRE preamps are noisy AF. Perhaps worth looking into that aspect a little more? 🤷‍♂️

It put me off, though!

32-bit seems to narrow the options quite a lot 🤔 ...

@JiveTurkey I was looking at that UR22C and more than one review on the internet mentioned that the D-PRE preamps are noisy AF. Perhaps worth looking into that aspect a little more? 🤷‍♂️

It put me off, though!

32-bit seems to narrow the options quite a lot 🤔 ...
Seriously; EVERY. SINGLE. INTERFACE. Has some GD downside. I am about to grab a Zoom digital multitrack unit and call it good :oops: :rofl:cuss

Been really happy with my MOTU M2 but its USB powered but there are no Issues

1669404100392.png

Last edited:
Back