George Lynch's Best Solo

Not sure if Lynch copied warren or the other way around. Very similar nuances in their legato soling. It struck something deep in me in the early 80's and I tried real hard to emulate what I heard. Unfortunately, without some kid on YT showing me how to do it I was pretty limited. :bonk

Oh god. Well……wow. Hmm. Really a toss up but really all his work between BFTA and Wicked Sensation was the best era. Sleepless Nights was pretty furious. Street Fighting Man. I dont know. too many to pick from.

I bet if someone asked George he would say he hasn't played his best solo yet. :idk :idk

Besides, each solo for every different song is going to be a bit different. Not every
song begs to melt faces during a solo section. So a perfect solo for a specific song
could be understated and yet the "best" solo for that song. Music is funny that way.

Only Mr. Scary himself can bust out of a wall and melt your face. I’m old. I’m proud. I WAS THERE! Lynch always takes me back. Always. Those first few guitar mags I bought with him on the cover or a transcription of a Dokken song, I remember learning what I could from Kiss Of Death. Lamours Brooklyn for Lynch mob, circa 1990 or so when I was 16. If you dont know, you really did miss the golden era of guitar playing. It was a 6 string arms race for the best guitarist. Everything really got dumbed down after that and IMO continues to happen. Let me lament. This is really all we have left in the end, isnt it?

Alternate title: "Once Dokken started to suck (aka "Burning like a flame"? More like "Barfing like a flame!"); I was no longer invested. Unfortunately

Last edited:
Only Mr. Scary himself can bust out of a wall and melt your face. I’m old. I’m proud. I WAS THERE! Lynch always takes me back. Always. Those first few guitar mags I bought with him on the cover or a transcription of a Dokken song, I remember learning what I could from Kiss Of Death. Lamours Brooklyn for Lynch mob, circa 1990 or so when I was 16. If you dont know, you really did miss the golden era of guitar playing. It was a 6 string arms race for the best guitarist. Everything really got dumbed down after that and IMO continues to happen. Let me lament. This is really all we have left in the end, isnt it?

Lamentations 12:26

:LOL:

I saw George touring Tooth And Nail. Then again on the Under Lock And Key Tour.
I still think he is great. His restless spirit to create and make music and not live in
the past is inspiring to me as an aging axe-slinger. :beer

That album is 100% his best work ever. These days John Levine does Lynch better than George ever did and certainly the current Lynch and George knows it. I heard an interview where he talked about guys asking him to sit in then blowing him away,..so he is aware of his abilities these days

Maybe I should have titled it (to be more specific), "George Lynch's Most Technically Impressive Recorded-On-An-Album Solo With Dokken".

I grew up with Dokken (started with Tooth & Nail / Breaking The Chains in 1984) and at one point ol' Georgie was my favorite guitarist.

I studied and learned all the Dokken hit song solos way back then.

Saw them at Monsters of Rock 1988 (VH, Scorps, Dokken, Metallica, Kingdom Come). Geo.'s guitar kept cutting out. :(

I haven't heard every single thing Geo. has done, but I've heard a lot, and I have yet to hear a solo as blazing and technically incredible as this one.

I mean, take Tooth And Nail solo; actually pretty easy (here's my take) as a good part is just tapping:

I believe Geo. is picking that last pattern before the end (Paris Is Burning solo) and he is killing it. He legatos up to it and then starts flying with the pick; perfectly. Not trill picking, either.

Heh, learning Kiss of Death now. Have avoided rippers, in general, but now 'tis the time. Being able to play it should open quite a few doors for little old me.

Heh, learning Kiss of Death now. Have avoided rippers, in general, but now 'tis the time. Being able to play it should open quite a few doors for little old me.
That is definitely a good one that’ll map out a DNA of his playing pretty well. Good luck. You’re gonna need it. Post video.

That is definitely a good one that’ll map out a DNA of his playing pretty well. Good luck. You’re gonna need it. Post video.
Be glad you didn't hear my struggles :bonk but I have the intro/main riff down at about 90% speed, whew! Kinda proud I'm finally able to play something like that!

That album is 100% his best work ever. These days John Levine does Lynch better than George ever did and certainly the current Lynch and George knows it. I heard an interview where he talked about guys asking him to sit in then blowing him away,..so he is aware of his abilities these days

Can I suggest listening closer and letting go of the past??

No?

Ok. :beer

Last edited:
George's best days are behind him. He should pack it in. So should we. We were never as
good as him to begin with. :idk

See how rotten that kind of shitbagging logic smells?? I know I do. Kind of why I don't partake
in that sort of silliness.
:beer

Back