Gainstaging for analog modelling plugins

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
Its quite staggering how poorly understood this information is, especially online. If you search gearspace or reddit or other online recording discussions SO MANY contradictory or just plain wrong things are written. Loads of terms get thrown around randomly, like -18dBFS RMS, as well as VU and dBFS etc.

There's loads of videos on youtube too, trying to explain it, but just giving awful advice, like using VU meters to set gain levels, or for balancing track volumes based on what a meter is telling them (i.e. by looking and not listening). By and large, its not THAT important, but I think people misunderstanding it or using meters wrong arguably leads to more problems than it fixes.

I usually do videos when I get fed up enough by misinformation online, so here's this one. No talking, but no bullshit hopefully. Just straight to the point.

Hope it helps.

Its quite amusing how common it is for analog modelled plugins to provide this information in their manuals, despite most studio gear being designed to handle a wide range of signal levels. Guitar amps are MUCH fussier about input levels, and yet this information is harder to find.

a buddy asked for a transcript, so for the benefit of those who prefer to read at their own pace:

There is so much written online about this that is either incorrect, or poorly explained. What does -18dBFS mean? Why do we see this mentioned so often?

In the analog domain, a constant sine wave that has a voltage of 1.23V can be described as having a signal level of 4dBu.

1.228V RMS sine wave=4dBu

A 4dBu (1.228V RMS) sine wave is commonly used in the analog domain as a REFERENCE LEVEL to calibrate equipment. This is helpful, because anyone can make a sine wave and measure it, and its a constant volume rather than something dynamic. 4dBu is the most common standard for professional LINE LEVEL gear. When people talk about line level, it is relative to this 4dBu value (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level). Line level is what most studio gear operates at - compressors, EQ's, reverbs, tape machines, mixing consoles, studio monitors, converters etc.

Very often, analog VU meters are calibrated so that a 4dBu sine wave shows 0VU on the meter.

How does this relate to digital/dBFS?

There is no fixed relationship between an analog voltage, and the level it is represented as digitally. Different analog-digital converters use their own definition of what a 4dBu sine wave appears at in dBFS.

On one A/D converter, a 4dBU (1.228V) sine wave may appear as -20dBFS. On another converter, the same 4dBu sine wave may appear as -10dBFS. Some converters even let you adjust this relationship to whatever value you like.

Its quite common for converters to use the definition: 1.228V RMS=4dBu=-18dBFS (If your converter line inputs have 22dBu of maximum input level, then 4dBu+18dB=22dBu). With a 4dBu sine wave there is 18dBFS of headroom.

The idea of this is to allow for signals that are above 0VU (such as fast peaks that are not easily detected on a VU meter) to avoid clipping.

Not all converters use this value, though. Some have more headroom, some have less.(e.g. UA Apollo often uses 20dBu max input level, so 16dB of headroom above 4dBu). As long as you aren't clipping, or recording WAY too quiet, you generally don't have to worry about this.

Why do people mention it then?

- when combining analog equipment with their DAW
- when using analog modelled plugins, and expecting them to behave like their analog counterparts
- familiarity for people who are used to working with analog metering.

THE PROBLEM

Analog equipment uses a consistent reference for setting your volume: 0VU=4dBu.

You can walk into any studio in the world, and play a 1.228V sine wave into their analog equipment and meters, and (if calibrated) it will display 0VU.

The meter shows the volume of any signal compared to a 4dBu sine wave.

As we know, A/D converters DON'T have a fixed dBFS reference for a 4dBu sine wave. When a plugin company makes an analog model of a piece of equipment, they need to decide on what reference level a 4dBu sine wave shows at as a dBFS level. Plugin manufacturers do not know what converters everyone is using and converters themselves all have different reference levels, so there is no perfect solution.

Many plugins use 4dBu=0VU=-18dBFS as their internal operating level, but lots of other plugins use different internal operating levels to this.

Don't assume that its always -18dBFS=4dBu=0VU.

Its quite common for developers to use a different dBu to dBFS reference for a number of reasons. Perhaps they are modelling a piece of HW, using converters that have more (or less) headroom than this. Sometimes, they adjust the internal operating level, as they expect the plugin to be used on a mix bus where average levels are typically louder.

UAD's various tape machines are calibrated for -12dBFS=4dBu for this reason. It helps you from inadvertently driving them too hard in "typical" use. Waves's Tape Machine plugins use 4dBu=-18dBFS. A -12dBFS sine wave is 6dB hotter on the Kramer Master Tape meters (than UAD Studer A800).

Reducing the plugin input level by 6dB means our -12dBFS sine wave is now -18dBFS, and shows as 0VU in the plugin.

I have tested tape machine plugins by companies like Softube, IK, Fuse, Black Rooster Audio, Slate Digital etc. They all use different internal operating levels, so don't assume its -18dBFS.

Another reason for a plugin manufacturer to use various internal operating levels is when a piece of equipment has a limited range of usable headroom. For instance, UAD modelled their LA-2A plugins at 4dBu=-12dBFS. This means, to drive the plugin harder, you would have to add 6dB more level than a plugin calibrated for -18dBFS=4dBu.

Ever wondered why some plugins saturate easier than others? Could it be down to the reference level it was modelled at?

It's not just tape machines or LA2A plugins that vary, ALL analog modelled plugins use a variety of values. -18dBFS=4dBu is just one of them.

If you are using a plugin on your mix bus that uses an internal reference level of -16dBFS=4dBu, you can put a VU meter before it and adjust it to this specification. Now you can adjust the volume of your mix so that the average volume is around 0VU. If your mix is roughly around 0VU, and your meter and plugin calibration values match, then the level you are hitting the plugin with would be typical to how you would use the hardware.

If most of your plugin chain is operating at -18dBFS=4dBU and one plugin is at -15dBFS, you may want to increase the input of that plugin by 3dB, and reduce its output by 3dB. This would be the most similar equivalent to using the real hardware in the same chain. If you don't do this, it's like boosting or attenuating between each piece of gear. It might sound good, but you'll get a different response to what would happen with hardware.

VU meters (analog or digital) have their own pro's and cons (BBC engineers called them "Virtually Useless" meters). They can be useful for full mixes, as well as sounds that are long and sustaining like bass or vocals. They are very poor for showing you any valuable information on signals with a lot of transient detail (like drums, acoustic guitar, percussion etc).

Setting your input levels with a VU meter is often a poor choice compared to a peak meter when recording to digital, especially for transient heavy or uncompressed sources. If you are familiar with how VU meters behave, and also know how much headroom your converters have when your VU meters show 0VU, then using VU meter plugins may offer some familiarity. Generally you will want to use a combination of various types of metering, depending on what kind of audio you are working with, and what you are trying to achieve.

Be suspicious of people online who suggest setting input levels for recording digitally using a VU meter. There is also a lot of misinformation about what -18dBFS refers to. -18dBFS=4dBu=0VU ALWAYS refers to a sine wave, as a constant reference point.dBFS is a measure of PEAK
dBu is a measure of VOLTAGE (average)

To establish a relationship between digital and analogue levels, we have to use a constant voltage like a sine wave. dBFS meters only tell us information about the peaks in the signal. VU is more of a measure of the average loudness and does not respond to quick peaks.

They each have different purposes - dBFS is helpful for digital because we have to keep the signal peaks from clipping. But that's all it really tells us - how close the peaks of a signal are to 0dBFS.

When "-18dBFS" is mentioned, it only refers to SINE WAVES used for calibration. Your real world signals will have a variety of levels, because you are working with complex sounds, rather than just sine waves. Use -18dBFS (or whatever value) for your sine wave when calibrating, and then you can essentially ignore the specific levels as long as you aren't clipping.

Use various types of meters to keep things so whatever plugins you are using are happy.

If a plugin is calibrated for -18dBFS, and your mix is around 0VU on a meter calibrated to -12dBFS, you may want to lower your signal a bit. A snare drum at -18dBFS is very unlikely to be equivalent to 0VU or 4dBu - this definition only works for sine waves.

Once you are calibrated, use your different meters with common sense.

Avoid clipping your inputs and outputs.

Last edited:
I need to spend more time with this, but that whole thing of “-18dBFS=+4dBu=0VU” being the magic sweet spot for most plugins seems to be almost total horseshit.

MOST UAD models tend to default to -16dBFS, with some at -12dBFS and a few another anomalies.

MOST IK models seem to be at -11dBFS=+4dBu=0VU

Plugin Alliance seem to be all over the place, depends on the plugin and who made it. Some allow adjustable VU meters. Lindell allow you to adjust the calibration. Some others have headroom screws.

Softube seem to vary from -24dBFS=0VU (VCA compressor, British Class A etc) to -13dBFS for Tape, to -8dBFS (Drawmer S73).

Slate Digital generally use -15dBFS=4dBu=0VU.

Waves are generally at -18dBFS=0VU, with many plugins offering adjustable metering.

It doesn’t make a huge difference in use because basically all the plugins this affects have input/output controls, or drive, or thresholds. But some do have quirks in their signal path, or variable knee’s and if you’re comparing different plugins then it’s quite a big variable at times.

So far it seems like more plugins AREN’T at -18dBFS than are.

Last edited:
A bit of an addendum to the last video/blog post. Ignore the clickbaity name/image:

This is something you see online a LOT. Often, with a lot of random letters thrown after, like -18VU or RMS or dBFSVU which don't mean a lot (at least, without context). If you watched my previous video, you should know what -18dBFS=+4dBu=0VU means.

But how common is it with interfaces and plugins?

An interface with 18dB of headroom above +4dBu, would have a maximum of 22dBu headroom for its line inputs This is fairly common, but its by no means the only value, and probably not even the most commonly used one in 2024.

Here is an assortment of specs from a range of converters and interfaces:
Avid MTRX30dBu=0dBFS
RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE24dBu=0dBFS
Lynx Aurora20dBu=0dBFS
Prism Atlas18dBu=0dBFS
UAD Apollo Twin20.2dBu=0dBFS
Apogee Symphony24dBu=0dBFS
Focusrite Clarret+26dBu=0dBFS
Audient iD4418dBu=0dBFS
SSL 2+24dBu=0dBFS
MOTU M418dBu=0dBFS
UAD Apollo x824dBu=0dBFS
UAD Arrow20.7dBu=0dBFS
UAD Volt22dBu=0dBFS
Focusrite 2i222dBu=0dBFS

Some have 14dB above 4dBu, some 16dB, some 18dB, some 20dB, some even more. If you are using your converters with lots of analog equipment, and meters that are calibrated for 0VU=+4dB, perhaps a converter with a high amount of headroom is a good option.

If you are working predominantly "in the box", you can just record with as much, or as little headroom as you like. If you find VU meters helpful, you can choose whichever calibration value you find most ideal for how you record.

None are more optimal than another, its completely context dependent to what you are recording. If you are in doubt, just avoid clipping or recording way too quiet and you'll probably be fine.

You may want to just follow the calibration of your own converters, for instance, if you have 0dBFS=24dBu as your maximum input level then:

+4dBu=-20dBFS

i.e. you have 20dB of headroom above 4dBu=0VU. -18dBFS gets mentioned CONSTANTLY
online, as if its the only sensible level to aim for. Most people don't even acknowledge that -18dBFS ONLY refers to the sine wave used for calibration. And remember, no matter which reference level you decide to use, the peaks of your audio signal will probably be much closer
to 0dBFS than -18dBFS.

Just avoid clipping, and you're doing great.

So what about plugins?

What we always see online is:

"-18dBFS is the optimal level for plugins"

You see this all the time, with warnings that going too hot will sound DREADFUL,because plugins need room to operate.

This is obviously complete nonsense for a number of reasons.

I checked a number of different analog modelled plugins internal reference levels. This is quite easy to do, especially for plugins with their own VU meter. Its also often mentioned in plugin manuals, and sometimes you even have the option to adjust the internal reference level of the plugin within its settings.

Here is a small sample of internal reference levels used by the main plugin developers in 2024:

So, -18dBFS=0VU is ONE value that is used, but it is far from the only, nor most common. If you assume that calibrating for -18dBFS is going to automatically put you in the sweet spot for a plugin, its just as likely that you are actually calibrating it outside of its intended operating range. Many plugins are designed with the expectation that users will be sending a loud signal in, so they opt for a calibration closer to 0dBFS (like -12dBFS or higher).

But many others may use -18dBFS or -24dBFS, and the same input level that sounds good with a plugin calibrated for -12dBFS is going to respond quite differently. So, just check and be aware that these calibration values often vary, and adjusting your input and output levels between plugins is perfectly normal, and probably a wise idea. Especially if you know one plugin prefers a louder signal, and another prefers more headroom.

Modern plugins operate at a MUCH higher bit depth than can even exist in the real world. You can drive them hard, but they won't struggle. They'll usually react much like the real hardware would at being driven too hard. They can go far beyond 0dBFS internally. Our converters can't.

When chaining multiple plugins together, you may want to be aware of what each plugin's internal operating level is, and perhaps even manually adjust your levels so each of them are operating at their desired headroom. This would give you the most similar experience to combining the real hardware together. But its not essential, and only matters if you either want the plugin to behave closely to the real hardware, OR if something sounds wrong.

Understand what -18dBFS refers to, don't be constrained by it without understanding what it means, and when it's actually helpful. It's a perfectly fine level to reference against, but -14dBFS or -20dBFS can be equally valid. It's likely that your interface, AND your plugins aren't designed with -18dBFS=0VU in mind.

It’s helpful to see all of the calibration info in one place.

I’m curious to see how you handle peak levels for drums with those plugins expecting such different levels. I’ve wondered how others work with drums since they decay so quickly compared to a sustaining guitar or bass. The quick transients don’t really register on VU meters, real or virtual.

It’s helpful to see all of the calibration info in one place.

I’m curious to see how you handle peak levels for drums with those plugins expecting such different levels. I’ve wondered how others work with drums since they decay so quickly compared to a sustaining guitar or bass. The quick transients don’t really register on VU meters, real or virtual.
my trick is not using VU meters for drums, they don’t really tell you anything.

I mean, a lot of plugins (and of course real gear) have VU meters so as long as the needle isn’t going too high then that’s fine. The rest is about listening. One you’ve processed them a bit and smoothed some peaks out and added parallels, they’ll get more useful. But if they’re around -10 or -5VU you’re good, if you want to be more heavy handed you go higher…..depends what you’re trying to achieve.

But I only really use VU meters on the mix bus, in the same way that VU meters and drums don’t really tell you anything, peak meters aren’t great for showing you the level of your mix (as opposed to the peaks).

I don't use VU meters for anything really. I use peak and RMS metering in the DAW, but since you can see both at the same time, it is often easy to visualise the loudness/energy of a signal.

I don't even trust most companies that their VU meters are anything else other than a standard peak dBFS meter with a VU skin slapped on it!

I don't even trust most companies that their VU meters are anything else other than a standard peak dBFS meter with a VU skin slapped on it!
yeah this is another annoying area because different companies use different definitions on how they calculate RMS. From memory, brainworx, izotope, ADPTR audio use one method, and most other companies like Fabfilter and waves use another. If you’re familiar with one it’s fine but telling people you’re hitting a particular number doesn’t really mean the same thing if they are measuring with something else.

I don't use VU meters for anything really. I use peak and RMS metering in the DAW, but since you can see both at the same time, it is often easy to visualise the loudness/energy of a signal.
I generally don’t use them, but if a plugin has one for input and output, quickly checking you aren’t totally pinning the meters is easy enough when first dialling it in.

I’m primarily thinking of a console saturation plugin like Sonimus Satson. Its manual states to bring levels to 0VU on its meters as a gain staging tool, which I think brings levels for drums too high without output compensation. I’ve relied on my ears for instances like this.

Many tape plugins also have VU meters prominently featured. I use Softube Tape and Fuse Flywheel, where it also feels heavy handed to crank the input to get it to 0VU.

It’s good to hear how you guys are approaching these plugins.

I’m primarily thinking of a console saturation plugin like Sonimus Satson. Its manual states to bring levels to 0VU on its meters as a gain staging tool, which I think brings levels for drums too high without output compensation. I’ve relied on my ears for instances like this.

Many tape plugins also have VU meters prominently featured. I use Softube Tape and Fuse Flywheel, where it also feels heavy handed to crank the input to get it to 0VU.

It’s good to hear how you guys are approaching these plugins.
Yeah for drums, 0VU is likely going to be too high. I’d just pay more attention to the peak levels for things with a lot of transients, while knowing that a plugin designed for -11dBFS=0VU is expecting a louder signal than one for -24dBFS=0VU.

I tend to prefer tape and console emulation plugins to be working pretty cleanly 95% of the time, so I definitely lean towards aiming a little lower. I wouldn’t really recommend going above -5VU for drums, and probably closer to -10VU, unless you’re trying to saturate the peaks. You can’t really go “too low” with those plugins, as you don’t really have to consider noise like you would with real gear.

Back