Fractal FM0 - mockup thread

Why I even need buttons? It can have maybe minimal set of those. There are plenty of industrial designs with crucial set of navigation buttons to get job done. Or without

Archetype Fractal

giphy.gif
This is closer to what I envisioned an FM0 would be. Something like a Motu M series interface in terms of size or even a synergy preamp module. Back in the Axe Fx II days, my thought was around something like that (based on front panel from the old non-XL)

IMG_7957.jpeg

This is closer to what I envisioned an FM0 would be. Something like a Motu M series interface in terms of size or even a synergy preamp module. Back in the Axe Fx II days, my thought was around something like that (based on front panel from the old non-XL)

View attachment 20843

For the record my mock-up is for a UAD Satellite in Fractal form, so we can run Frac as plugins. That’s the gap in the platform for me, not footswitches. Everyone can make do with 3,9, or BYoB with the Axe, we need plugins!!!

The only thing that would matter to me with a hypothetical FM0 is that it fits in my guitar bag and flight case. The FM3 is that little bit too big for that task, so being able to split up the brain from the switches and cram there where needed would make life even easier than it already is.

For me, an FM0 should be no bigger than a Strymon Timeline, Boss DD-500, or perhaps even Meris LVX. It really shouldn't be a cut down version of an Axe III or FM9, simply with bits chopped off it. It should be an entirely new type of device for Fractal, with a completely new user experience.

So far, none of the imagined concepts scream "viable product" to me, at all really.

I could understand the uad satellite style rack dongle for DAW plugin use, if only because I doubt Cliff will ever make a Fractal plugin, and that is probably the closest thing to hope for. Something powerful with only a plugin interface (or is there already a plugin interface for Axe fx III with full daw recall? Because that would do it)

But I don’t really understand the pedal without a foot switch thing. I just realized that’s what people mean by FM0. I get it if you want something smaller than an FM3, but why can’t it have foot switches? FM1? FM2? Straight to zero, huh?

Seriously, what is this supposed to be good for? In case it's merely a desktop unit or something you mount, say, on a music/mic stand, then it defenitely needs more encoders to really make sense because in that case it'd probably become the main deal for creating and adjusting patches.
Touchscreen to select, lotsa encoders to adjust, that's it. Wouldn't need any oldschool switches in that case, a touchscreen is more than sufficient to accomplish everything you usually need whatever arrow keye, menu buttons and what not for. Obviously, LEDs aren't needed, either.

Anything shown above is merely FM3s with the switches stripped off. Not that it wouldn't make sense for some people, but it's hardly adressing any of the "known issues" at all (as in delivering a much better on-unit-editing experience) and all it'd do is to cannibalize FM3 sales at the cost of some R&D, new case design, etc.

And fwiw, any such a unit needed FM9 power. That'd make it the perfect studio desktop machine that you could still use live.

Last edited:
For me, an FM0 should be no bigger than a Strymon Timeline, Boss DD-500, or perhaps even Meris LVX. It really shouldn't be a cut down version of an Axe III or FM9, simply with bits chopped off it. It should be an entirely new type of device for Fractal, with a completely new user experience.

So far, none of the imagined concepts scream "viable product" to me, at all really.
The premise with the current Fractal range is that if they do something new in that range, it's going to work very much like the existing ones. The mockups I made are made with that premise - using existing parts, functionality etc.

For next gen, I'd of course like to see something with a redesigned user experience.

Back