Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

I won’t defend the TMP but I also look at it another way. To enter the modeler market at this point is to enter a buzzsaw of awesomeness from Fractal, Line 6, Neural etc. It’s virtually impossible to release a first gen product that can compete with them toe to toe. At some point shit has to ship to start bringing in money to recoup the massive development outlay required to make a modern premium modeler. Fender clearly sees the writing on the wall with digital, and on some level I appreciate how forward thinking they have been with their Tone Master amps and now a full fledged modeler. For a company that could coast on nostalgia they are at least taking a swing, and who knows maybe this lays the groundwork for some cool shit to get released in the future.
Spot on. But since it's tough to compete with the goliaths of digital modeling, IMO the best way to do it is by having something different about your device, whether it's QC's captures + modeling, or Boss with their custom models and vast array of Boss fx. To me that's what Fender is missing, the differentiators.

They could differentiate by say having a more expansive list of Fender amps and cabs that haven't been modeled on anything else so it caters better to people who are first and foremost Fender fans. Why aren't they including all the Fender fx pedal sounds in there? While they're not exactly Strymon, they're still different and might win some people over to liking the pedals.

What fender has to set it apart is the garageband-like touch interface. If you can use an iPhone, you can use a TMP.

What fender has to set it apart is the garageband-like touch interface. If you can use an iPhone, you can use a TMP.

Complete_Library_Of_Guitar_Vocal_FX_Amp_Clones_and_MoreK.png

Oh yeah I didn’t mean to say they invented it. It just looks like garageband to me anyway… reminds me of my first white plastic macbook. I just think that’s the main thing it has going for it. It looks really easy to use. Im still not interested in buying one for lots of reasons.

Spot on. But since it's tough to compete with the goliaths of digital modeling, IMO the best way to do it is by having something different about your device, whether it's QC's captures + modeling, or Boss with their custom models and vast array of Boss fx. To me that's what Fender is missing, the differentiators.

They could differentiate by say having a more expansive list of Fender amps and cabs that haven't been modeled on anything else so it caters better to people who are first and foremost Fender fans. Why aren't they including all the Fender fx pedal sounds in there? While they're not exactly Strymon, they're still different and might win some people over to liking the pedals.

Not only are they lacking differentiators, they are lacking the basic features that other modelers have. I'm sure they're scrambling to catch up by adding things like more amp models, snapshots, more routing. The problem is everybody else is releasing updates putting Fender farther and farther behind.

Not a huge amount AFAIK.

Things I'm aware* of are the FM9 doesn't have the tone-matching block, mini-IR block, global blocks, and can't capture IRs.

I *think* it might also be missing a few advanced controls on some of the blocks, but I'm not 100% certain of this, nor am I certain if the FM9 supports full-res IRs.

* unless they've been recently added.
FM9 has only 1 pitch block.

Sad Family Time GIF by Lifetime

I will also add their price point is off to me $1000 max unit for what it offers.and it would have been better if it had a whole lot of unique oddball fender amps and cabs. It’s silly that fractal and line6 offer more fender and botique models and cabs for the same price or less

Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist here but I do think that Fender has been working really hard to make a great easy to use product even better with the upcoming updates. I think we all should be giving them a chance to meet and or exceed our expectations before condemning them. The development group at Fender are monitoring these forums and even created their own discord so they could have contact and get direct feedback from current and future owners of the TMP. They not only have been listening but have been faithfully responding to our questions, our suggestions, and our complaints. I think this is a fantastic step in the right direction. So many developers and engineers don't do this so I really appreciate it and am glad that I bought a product from a company that has taken these very wise steps. I for one believe in them so much that I put my money where my mouth is and bought the TMP and FR-12, as many of us did, when there were so many other great options available. Some cheaper and some just as expensive. I'm certainly not in the habit of blowing a couple of thousand dollars without really thinking about it and doing my research. Do I think it's perfect as is? No, there are some bugs that need to be worked out and of course like everyone else I would love to see the entire catalogue of Fender effects and amps built into the TMP along with many other brands of effects and amps. With that said, I do think that it has given me a great platform for my introduction into the digital realm of guitar playing and has inspired my musical creativity as I'm sure it has many of us. I'm playing and creating again. So much so that I spend several hours a day seeing what I can create next with the TMP. Patience is a virtue and I'll spend my time practicing and creating while waiting for what I'm sure will be some fantastic future updates. This is a tough crowd and you all have some valid points. I just hope it doesn't cause Fender pause in the digital market and that they stay the course and keep improving the TMP. Rock on! :giggle:

Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist here but I do think that Fender has been working really hard to make a great easy to use product even better with the upcoming updates. I think we all should be giving them a chance to meet and or exceed our expectations before condemning them. The development group at Fender are monitoring these forums and even created their own discord so they could have contact and get direct feedback from current and future owners of the TMP. They not only have been listening but have been faithfully responding to our questions, our suggestions, and our complaints. I think this is a fantastic step in the right direction. So many developers and engineers don't do this so I really appreciate it and am glad that I bought a product from a company that has taken these very wise steps. I for one believe in them so much that I put my money where my mouth is and bought the TMP and FR-12, as many of us did, when there were so many other great options available. Some cheaper and some just as expensive. I'm certainly not in the habit of blowing a couple of thousand dollars without really thinking about it and doing my research. Do I think it's perfect as is? No, there are some bugs that need to be worked out and of course like everyone else I would love to see the entire catalogue of Fender effects and amps built into the TMP along with many other brands of effects and amps. With that said, I do think that it has given me a great platform for my introduction into the digital realm of guitar playing and has inspired my musical creativity as I'm sure it has many of us. I'm playing and creating again. So much so that I spend several hours a day seeing what I can create next with the TMP. Patience is a virtue and I'll spend my time practicing and creating while waiting for what I'm sure will be some fantastic future updates. This is a tough crowd and you all have some valid points. I just hope it doesn't cause Fender pause in the digital market and that they stay the course and keep improving the TMP. Rock on! :giggle:
You sound like me years ago when I bought my cyber twin when it came out and then the sr came and they junked it. I was bummed

You sound like me years ago when I bought my cyber twin when it came out and then the sr came and they junked it. I was bummed
I've never had the chance to play the Cyber Twin but from what I've read it was certainly a much loved amp and ahead of it's time. I'm sure that it and the SE model were the basis / proving ground for the whole idea of the Tone Master series culminating thus far into the TMP/FR series products. Wish we could predict the shelf life for new products before we buy but technology never stops going forward and unfortunately production and support always eventually ends to make way for new products or for cost cutting measures by the bean counters. Bummer I agree but man I enjoy the thrill of working with something new, exciting, and different from time to time.

that complains can be buried where Google can't find them never to be seen again.
Just like certain other companies do.
Google sees all! If not, Facebook will, as when I say anything on my cellphone, online, or around my Alexa about a product or subject the next thing I know I get bombarded with ads or info by Facebook. So nothing is buried/hidden anymore. LOL

This is indeed a tough crowd, but most of the goofy bastards that hang out here have quite a bit of time in with digital gear. As such, we’re not exactly the demographic that Fender is targeting with the TMP.

Back