Does the Fractal Deluxe Reverb sound broken to anyone else?

Using Input Trim of .500 or 1.00?

I'll defer to @FractalAudio to answer further if something is incorrect.
I'm not touching the input trim, keeping it at 1.00 aka default unity gain. I've played many Deluxe Reverbs both new and vintage, and none of them did break up with the volume at 3 (2.2 in Axe) using a standard strat.
But if Cliffs amp does, so be it... :)

1714843386245.png

The 20 watt Soldano Astro approves of this message. :headbang

No, it has other issues that people learned to dismiss as “that’s just the way they are.” In the digital world, you can have a Deluxe that doesn’t fart out when pushed hard if you want.
Not if you're UAD. They literally modeled the "mistakes" of the amp like real fucking idiots.

Not if you're UAD. They literally modeled the "mistakes" of the amp like real fucking idiots.

It wasn’t really a mistake, the blackface amps were Leo’s final designs before selling the company, and they were meant to be clean amps. Leo didn’t chug. It was us long haired head banging freaks that turned them up and made them distort. The Randy Smith started turning them into flamethrowers…

Anyone who wants fender squeaky cleans on a Fractal should try out the tremolux model, that's probably my favourite amp for this kind of tones.

FWIW, when I sold my DRRI a couple weeks ago the guy who bought it plugged in an ES-335 and pretty much immediately past 3 there was some breakup depending on how hard he was playing. I could imagine higher output pickups exaggerating that. If 0 = 1 for the lack of an actual 1, it'd make sense to me that it's distorting at 3 and how much would heavily depend on pickups. With single coils, you'd have to be wailing the strings pretty hard to get it to break up, but it could happen.

If you want cleaner clean, use a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb even. The beauty of the DR is that spanky clean, edge of breakup tone.

For me, I’m not looking for clean here, I’m looking for the amp to sound and behave the way it should.

I can’t comment on the new updates until I get a chance to try them. I know there can be a lot of variation from amp to amp, especially with one this old, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Cliffs 65 DR breaks up a little earlier than some of the ones I’ve played.

What I’m most hoping to hear is that weird unnatural distortion gone, and I believe it will be as I did not hear it on the Normal channel before. Was that crossover distortion? What was that?

Back