Deleted

I simply showed the amp to add to the site's build up of material. I also wanted to share the truth about the amp as I too believe it's way over-rated. I don't want people to think it's the greatest if they've never played one. I certainly know - 'no good deed goes by unpunished' hence the removal.

I didn't want to say it initially, because I could look like an a*****e but I now don't care, but I haven't sold it simply because I don't need the money and I can't be f****d dealing with test pilots and tire kickers if I don't have to.

So, I hope I've been clear and open about it all to anyone WGAF.

:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
I can definitely relate. I rarely if ever flip gear. I dont sell my stuff. I usually buy it because I like it.

Although I do love my Soldano. Aside from how the amp sounds, Mike is one of the nicest guys in the business.

I didn't want to say it initially, because I could look like an a*****e but I now don't care, but I haven't sold it simply because I don't need the money and I can't be f****d dealing with test pilots and tire kickers if I don't have to.
That's fair, of course. It's your choice whether you want to have $6K tied up (and the associated space) to keep an amp you think is not worth the price the market brings for it. A lot of folks would find that is definitely over their threshold for 'worth the effort' to liquidate.

I actually tend to hold gear much longer than your average net forumite, too (at this point in my life)... Can afford the stuff I buy and can get the good stuff and then tend to just keep everything when getting new gear. Definitely not a chronic flipper... but do generally only buy stuff I actually like. :p If for some reason I cannot evaluate or make a mistake or something, I tend to immediately return/correct it rather than hang onto it and suffer though because I actually only buy big pieces once a year or so.

That's fair, of course. It's your choice whether you want to have $6K tied up (and the associated space) to keep an amp you think is not worth the price the market brings for it. A lot of folks would find that is definitely over their threshold for 'worth the effort' to liquidate.

I actually tend to hold gear much longer than your average net forumite, too (at this point in my life)... Can afford the stuff I buy and can get the good stuff and then tend to just keep everything when getting new gear. Definitely not a chronic flipper... but do generally only buy stuff I actually like. :p If for some reason I cannot evaluate or make a mistake or something, I tend to immediately return/correct it rather than hang onto it and suffer though because I actually only buy big pieces once a year or so.
Just so you know, I've had this Soldano now for 30yrs so I didn't pay anywhere near market values.................ever. Of course $6k is $6k but I don't actually need it. If I had a neighbor next door come in and want it I'd probably sell it but that's about as much effort and interaction I'm prepared to tolerate.

I'm not a flipper nor a hoarder but I'm over dealing with most would be buyers who generally want most things for almost free and try and pick any fault they can find and in most cases 'imagine'.

If I needed the cash I'd sell it in a heartbeat because I would have to.

Just so you know, I've had this Soldano now for 30yrs so I didn't pay anywhere near market values.................ever. Of course $6k is $6k but I don't actually need it. If I had a neighbor next door come in and want it I'd probably sell it but that's about as much effort and interaction I'm prepared to tolerate.

I'm not a flipper nor a hoarder but I'm over dealing with most would be buyers who generally want most things for almost free and try and pick any fault they can find and in most cases 'imagine'.

If I needed the cash I'd sell it in a heartbeat because I would have to.
Seems like it’d be a smart move to keep, actually. If you ever need to raise a quick $6K, that’s an easy sell.

Yep. It’s awesome. This is a recent recording I did with it. Signal chain is:

Ibanez 7 string -> SD1 -> Synergy SLO -> Synergy 5050 bridged mono -> Torpedo Captor X with an Ownhammer IR.

Shredding Jerk Off GIF by hamlet

I got you. No worries, man. Thanks for taking the time to clarify your thoughts and share observations based on your long time ownership of such a notable amp. It is appreciated, chain yanking not withstanding.

There's a lot of brand mystique around various gear forums and tons of honeymoon only reviews out there... A lot of us don't get our hands on every last thing that sounds interesting on the net; so its easy to think something is somehow going to be magical when we get our hands on it. Klons, Dumbles, Jose Marshalls, Boutique brands and one offs, etc.

Sometimes the magic really does happen but there are probably more duds than not if you're picky. So it's good to know about the pros and cons a real non-honeymoon phase owner hears, especially on something expensive and relatively rare.

There's a lot of brand mystique around various gear forums and tons of honeymoon only reviews out there... A lot of us don't get our hands on every last thing that sounds interesting on the net; so its easy to think something is somehow going to be magical when we get our hands on it. Klons, Dumbles, Jose Marshalls, Boutique brands and one offs, etc.
Just something to think about, the marketing behind amps and guitar gear positions them as luxury items, but in reality they're equipment. They're tools. I love great tube amps, but IMO and I'm only speaking for myself of course, I play tube amps and I own tube amps because my ears are total assholes to me and I have to have things just perfect, and tube amps do it for me. I started on solid state stuff in the mid 90s, had some of the first 'modelers' if you could call them that in the mid-to-late 90s with the Rocktron rack preamps, and then went from there to hybrid rigs and eventually full tube rigs. Each time I upgraded, the fidelity of the equipment improved and the music I created was more like the ideas I hear in my head come to life.

Having said that I've fallen into the trap of having to get the latest item, or buying the most expensive amp, and it's not a road I'll go down again. Yes I still own fairly pricy amps, but the ones I do own have value as tools and the ones I have to fight with or the ones I no longer mesh with get sold. I don't keep something sitting around just because it's a flagship amp or has a certain logo on it. But that's just me.

Back