Creating Melody

Has a bit of everything... Some waaayy beyond my abilities, er, most! :rawk

I linked you that one, because it's more varied, but right now I'm learning this one, in an attempt to practice my alt picking, while using something that is actually musical. (I am re-working the tabs though.)

Of those listed someone give me one song to begin with please 🤪
I suffer from option paralysis
Honestly, none of those would be my first stop for melodic inspiration. Even Bach's solo violin stuff. Form; structure; color; texture; harmonic motion; etc., absolutely... but they are not really efficient places to mine for great melodic content.

You mentioned pentatonics over a I IV V progression. If you're struggling with even just hearing a melody to play to begin with, I'd reduce to something even simpler -- Freeze just an "A" note. Then some up with some melodies using the A-minor pentatonic scale that star on the root. Be super deliberate about it in terms of what note you intend to end the melody on and just see what they sound like. Move to starting on the minor 3rd. Experiment with differences between starting on beat 1, vs. using a pickup, vs. starting on 2, or the and of 1 etc., etc. Switch over to the A-major pentatonic and repeat.

Even if you ARE hearing melodies in your head going through and doing this super structured "I'm going to make a melody by these rules" practice can be helpful to spice up what melodies you wind up hearing in your head.

Honestly, none of those would be my first stop for melodic inspiration. Even Bach's solo violin stuff. Form; structure; color; texture; harmonic motion; etc., absolutely... but they are not really efficient places to mine for great melodic content.

You mentioned pentatonics over a I IV V progression. If you're struggling with even just hearing a melody to play to begin with, I'd reduce to something even simpler -- Freeze just an "A" note. Then some up with some melodies using the A-minor pentatonic scale that star on the root. Be super deliberate about it in terms of what note you intend to end the melody on and just see what they sound like. Move to starting on the minor 3rd. Experiment with differences between starting on beat 1, vs. using a pickup, vs. starting on 2, or the and of 1 etc., etc. Switch over to the A-major pentatonic and repeat.

Even if you ARE hearing melodies in your head going through and doing this super structured "I'm going to make a melody by these rules" practice can be helpful to spice up what melodies you wind up hearing in your head.
Disagree on Bach. This is a straight forward one that's beautifully simple in melody. It works great on solo guitar too. I used to play it sometimes, even as a wedding intro once.

Disagree on Bach. This is a straight forward one that's beautifully simple in melody. It works great on solo guitar too. I used to play it sometimes, even as a wedding intro once.

Yeah, I definitely didn't mean to imply they don't have amazing melodic content -- I mean, Nutcracker Suite Ear Candy!! But when somebody tells me they're trying to find more melodies for playing pentatonics over a I IV V chord progression in the context of rock music...I would argue there are more efficient places to start the process :D. :beer

Of those listed someone give me one song to begin with please 🤪
I suffer from option paralysis

I've been listening these melodies for almost 60 years, since I was a toddler. They've always been embedded in my memory, note-by-note, and they still cause me a great emotional impact.

This intro is more powerful than any modern riff played with a 7-string pumping 10 MESA Rectifiers in cascade.
Really worth to listen the complete piano concert with calm. It has very beautiful melodies. Grieg was a melody machine

Last edited:
I've been listening these melodies for almost 60 years, since I was a toddler. They've always been embedded in my memory, note-by-note, and they still cause me a great emotional impact.

This intro is more powerful than any modern riff played with a 7-string pumping 10 MESA Rectifiers in cascade.
Really worth to listen the complete piano concert with calm. It has very beautiful melodies. Grieg was a melody machine

All wonderful, and classical music covers more than enough melody to keep you busy for a lifetime.
I've always had a soft spot for Chopin's Nocturnes. So many beautiful melodies.

I recorded a mega-sloppy version of Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2. It sucks, but it was fun 😅

That was awesome, love your interpretation! Did you do the backing track with drums?
Hearing it with that type of gain/sound made me think of Brian May for a sec.

Oh, and that purple pickguard is tripping me out. :rofl

That was awesome, love your interpretation! Did you do the backing track with drums?
Hearing it with that type of gain/sound made me think of Brian May for a sec.

Oh, and that purple pickguard is tripping me out. :rofl
Backing track is from the amigo André Antunes, who is a much more refined player than me.

Backing track is from the amigo André Antunes, who is a much more refined player than me.
Cool. Your vid is a good example of how to pull yourself out of habits and to really focus on melody. It puts your fingers into places you'd not normally go. Instead, we tend to let hand comfort and scales dictate our melodies.

Personally, I find pickups to be an incredibly fantastic tool to achieve plausible melodies (or melody-alike "structures").
An easy way to start would be to just have a one chord pattern playing, then look for a nice target note. Let's say you go for a min7 chord and your target note would be the 5th (a G over a Cmin7, for instance). Play that note on beat one. Then start approaching it. Could be as easy as just adding the next scale tone before. So, over that Cmin7, you might want to play an F on beat 4 of the previous bar and then your G on beat 1.
Record these simple examples and compare. Listen to how much more of a "plausible structure" it'll become by just these baby steps.

Ways to expand this approach:
- Use more than one note as a pickup (in fact, it could be any number of notes).
- Now approach your target note from above.
- Now mix approaching it from below/above. This will very likely already sound like a call and response thing, which is always great to add some structure.
- Try syncopating individual notes within all of the above.
- Then add articulations. Bend, slide, hammer on, pull off, pinch, whatever floats your boat.

Seriously, you can take this very, very far.

It's too late for today, but I could record some bits to illustrate tomorrow, in case you're interested.

Fwiw, always remember: Rhythm trumps note choices! Some of the most iconic melodies are remembered because of their rhythms. Beethoven's 5th anyone?
In Scott Henderson's pretty incredible video about melodic phrasing (or so), he demonstrates that with "Jingle Bells". He's playing almost completely random notes but is keeping the rhythm intact and you will instantly recognize "Jingle Bells" (tried to find it on YT, no chance, too bad).

Back