NDSP Quad Cortex

I get his theory on what "other companies" might do in terms of reverting to paid DLC, but being that there are really only two "other companies" (Sit this one out, Tonemaster Pro) at the QC pricepoint - Line 6 and Fractal - this probably won't come to pass in any significant way.

For Fractal, Cliff is driven by a passion for perfection and he loves to share his new creations/tweaks and fixes to the community at large. I just don't see him paywalling all of the new amps and FX he'll develop in the future. That being said, he does monetize stuff like future Dynacabs and IR cab packs. But he also includes so, so many in the factory firmware, they're just fun add-ons....not must-haves.

For Line 6, they have spent the entire lifespan of the Helix washing the paid DLC taste out of users' mouths after an abundance of it toward the end of the Pod XT era. In fact, they've used other product lines to essentially work out the kinks of content that they've turned around and given to HX for free (e.g. Catalyst amps, Metallurgy plugins).

I never say never, but I think NDSP will stay alone in prioritizing DLC. To be fair to them, as @Jynx noted in his screenshot.....they say they'll get back on the QC content train "after" 3.00.

But then again, they say lots of things and move goalposts all of the time, so.....:idk
When the QC launched my expectation would be that NeuralDSP would quickly add marketplace functions to their cloud service so 1st and 3rd party vendors can sell their captures and presets in one convenient place, with NeuralDSP skimming a 10-30% cut off the top like most app/game stores do nowadays. Why that hasn't happened, I don't know because it seems like a very obvious thing to do with the way the cloud was setup.

The "free" updates on our favorite modelers aren't truly free but the development cost is baked into the selling price of the unit itself. For a small company like Fractal, it can work out just fine as long as the units keep selling. For a large company like Boss or Yamaha/Line6, you are likely to need a whole different sales volume. Of course, Boss barely updates anything and is quite vertically integrated by using Roland's DSP chips etc so they have been able to push the price of their gear lower in the first place.

I don't mind the DLC approach if the unit already has a lot of capability. I can just choose to not buy anything, or I can pick the things I like and not pay for things I don't care about. Since DLCs like say IR or capture packs generally aren't very expensive, I think of them in terms of "what are you spending on other stuff like lunch, snacks, going to the movies etc" and then it doesn't seem unreasonable for something you can potentially use for years.

The fear for NeuralDSP is that they will gate all the "cool" stuff behind plugin sales. A good example of this would be the Soldano SLO plugin, that sounded massively better than the SLO model in the QC. I don't know how well the updated QC SLO compares to the plugin, but maybe someone will test Soldano SLO X vs QC model vs captures.

Not a great photo, but here's a fun setup I'm playing around with:

53691906745_90b1137719_b.jpg

Running the QC along with a pair of cheap M-Audio expression pedals, one for volume and one for effects mix (delay/reverb). Not pictured, but running into the power amp input of the Boss Katana Artist, so basically the QC is doing all the amp and effects modeling. Fits nicely on my Metro 20 board.

Not a great photo, but here's a fun setup I'm playing around with:

53691906745_90b1137719_b.jpg

Running the QC along with a pair of cheap M-Audio expression pedals, one for volume and one for effects mix (delay/reverb). Not pictured, but running into the power amp input of the Boss Katana Artist, so basically the QC is doing all the amp and effects modeling. Fits nicely on my Metro 20 board.

Those pedals take me back to the days of old with the M-Audio Black Box. I swore I was balling because it was one of the few modelers at the time with "exotic" amp models like an ENGL Powerball and Diezel VH4. Pretty cool synth effects courtesy of the Adrenalinn too.

Those pedals take me back to the days of old with the M-Audio Black Box. I swore I was balling because it was one of the few modelers at the time with "exotic" amp models like an ENGL Powerball and Diezel VH4. Pretty cool synth effects courtesy of the Adrenalinn too.

The pedals are super cheap but they work pretty well! I could see going to something like the Dunlop expression pedal or something more sturdy if I find a good deal. I've been looking for a good deal on used Fractal EV's for years and just hasn't panned out.

The pedals are super cheap but they work pretty well! I could see going to something like the Dunlop expression pedal or something more sturdy if I find a good deal. I've been looking for a good deal on used Fractal EV's for years and just hasn't panned out.
The HOTONE Ampero Press is a similar form factor (I actually prefer it) to the Dunlop mini, at a lower price. Its polarity is weird but - as previously discussed - it works well with the QC. There's a new revision with a toe switch for another $10, too.

The HOTONE Ampero Press is a similar form factor (I actually prefer it) to the Dunlop mini, at a lower price. Its polarity is weird but - as previously discussed - it works well with the QC. There's a new revision with a toe switch for another $10, too.
They have a new one too unless that is the one you meant
Tuner / volume and Expression that’s pretty cool

They have a new one too unless that is the one you meant
Tuner / volume and Expression that’s pretty cool
Yeah, that one's even newer. It's another $60, though, so not the same value proposition unless you really need an always-on tuner.

I also got one of these…goog pedal..light…output cable is hardwired…..that doesn’t make it a pedal ready for world tour…but who is doing those anyway ;)

Ampero Tuner press, and the wah they have…what’s interesting is that they give visual feedback with leds on the status of the pedal….I have t got one (yet)….but that’s something I’ve always missed. I use an exp for wet/dry…and it takes a couple of notes to set it right. Some midi controllers show you the expression value when you move it…but most unfortunately don’t.

Ampero Tuner press, and the wah they have…what’s interesting is that they give visual feedback with leds on the status of the pedal….I have t got one (yet)….but that’s something I’ve always missed. I use an exp for wet/dry…and it takes a couple of notes to set it right. Some midi controllers show you the expression value when you move it…but most unfortunately don’t.
Yeah, that's definitely useful for some applications - though with a pedal this small, I feel like you'd be blocking your own view most of the time.

I just looked at the product page for the TunerPress, and it looks like that toe switch is just for toggling between volume and expression modes. The Ampero II Press will send expression and switch signals independently, so you can program your modeler/ MFX to use that switch however you please.

Grrr….audiointerface is not compatibele for streaming (OBS)…and connecting the USB causes digital noise at the outputs……

Grrr….audiointerface is not compatibele for streaming (OBS)…and connecting the USB causes digital noise at the outputs……
What audio interface? QC? What’s OBS?

Noise with USB connected is a common problem with many interfaces, and can be related to the interface, the specific PC/ USB jack, the power in the room (and whether you have a ground loop issue), etc. Have you tried turning on/ off the ground lift setting? Are all devices (PC and interface) getting power from the same circuit? If all else fails you can get a USB connector that shields noise between PC and interface (blocking DC via induction, basically.)

P.S. You may also want to check your USB playback level on the Global Settings page.

What audio interface? QC? What’s OBS?
Streaming/video recording software. Basically all modern interfaces come with a specific mode for that….not the CQ. Result is that with OBS the QC also routes the input signal to what goes into the live feed…so unusable.

Noise with USB connected is a common problem with many interfaces, and can be related to the interface, the specific PC/ USB jack, the power in the room (and whether you have a ground loop issue), etc. Have you tried turning on/ off the ground lift setting? Are all devices (PC and interface) getting power from the same circuit? If all else fails you can get a USB connector that shields noise between PC and interface (blocking DC via induction, basically.)

Guess I’ll have to fiddle with stuff…or abort mission…and plug analog audio into an interface that is compliant with OBS and doesn’t give me noise…or back to kemper for recording and use good old spdif…

Streaming/video recording software. Basically all modern interfaces come with a specific mode for that….not the CQ. Result is that with OBS the QC also routes the input signal to what goes into the live feed…so unusable.

Guess I’ll have to fiddle with stuff…or abort mission…and plug analog audio into an interface that is compliant with OBS and doesn’t give me noise…or back to kemper for recording and use good old spdif…
There are so many in/ out options on that thing I would figure there must be a work around does QC not have spdif?

Basically all modern interfaces come with a specific mode for [OBS]
Weird that I’ve literally never heard of it. In any case, the QC is USB Class-compliant for both audio and MIDI. It sounds like you have a ground loop issue to address, and possibly a routing issue to sort out (via a Windows and/or QC setting). But obviously I’m no expert, since I still don’t know what OBS is. :D

Again, audio over USB is inherently noisy - especially so if there's a ground loop issue, but even without, the PC itself generates a lot of noise (from network cards, hard drives, etc.) I've never tried one myself, but devices like these are supposed to be effective in isolating noise from audio interfaces:

...a-a-a-n-d I can't paste that link for some reason. Search e.g. Amazon for "usb isolator ground loop".

Are you talking about a loopback feature where it can take audio from application X and route it to the audio interface as its own channels and can then be used in OBS?

Most digital modelers on the market are kinda terrible as audio interfaces. They aren't designed for much more than "record into a DAW, maybe reamp". Simplest would be to just use a proper audio interface and connect the analog outs from the QC into that. Honestly you probably cannot tell a difference between this vs having a digital signal.

Weird that I’ve literally never heard of it. In any case, the QC is USB Class-compliant for both audio and MIDI. It sounds like you have a ground loop issue to address, and possibly a routing issue to sort out (via a Windows and/or QC setting). But obviously I’m no expert, since I still don’t know what OBS is. :D
Google streaming software and OBS and you should get a hit ;)
It does show up in OBS, but not the individual outputs, so OBS hears the sum of all. Same problem I had with older interfaces not ready for streaming. Behringer flow, Boss Gigcaster, focusrite…all handle it fine.

Again, audio over USB is inherently noisy - especially so if there's a ground loop issue, but even without, the PC itself generates a lot of noise (from network cards, hard drives, etc.) I've never tried one myself, but devices like these are supposed to be effective in isolating noise from audio interfaces:

...a-a-a-n-d I can't paste that link for some reason. Search e.g. Amazon for "usb isolator ground loop".
Looks like it’s only on the analog outputs, so it doesn’t make “the tape”….so shutting of my poweramp/cabs make it workable.

Are you talking about a loopback feature where it can take audio from application X and route it to the audio interface as its own channels and can then be used in OBS?

Most digital modelers on the market are kinda terrible as audio interfaces. They aren't designed for much more than "record into a DAW, maybe reamp". Simplest would be to just use a proper audio interface and connect the analog outs from the QC into that. Honestly you probably cannot tell a difference between this vs having a digital signal.
That’s it indeed…and that will be my workaround. I had hoped to do it with the QC…saves me a device in the studio, and cables to plug-in since this device will also be in the hall after a gig frequently.

No biggie…I’ll live ;)…but I kinda expected it to be ready for 2024 ;)

Back