NDSP Quad Cortex

It is rendered as a WAV. Not sure what the quality is. It's just default settings.
What DAW do you use? I have always noticed your clips have this washy cymbal thing like they are rendered down at 128k. That sounds more asshole-y than I intend it to; don't take it that way. Maybe it's soundcloud wreaking havoc on the cymbals? It does that to me too but usually I render a 320 mp3 for longer things vs a wav file for short clips.

What DAW do you use? I have always noticed your clips have this washy cymbal thing like they are rendered down at 128k. That sounds more asshole-y than I intend it to; don't take it that way. Maybe it's soundcloud wreaking havoc on the cymbals? It does that to me too but usually I render a 320 mp3 for longer things vs a wav file for short clips.
I think knowing what they use to remove the different instruments can also be a factor.

Oh right. Nah it's just the backing track isn't great. I use the backing tracks on Ultimate Guitar. If I knew how to program drums I would. I'm sure if I used EZ Drummer 3 it would sound way better.

Oh right. Nah it's just the backing track isn't great. I use the backing tracks on Ultimate Guitar. If I knew how to program drums I would. I'm sure if I used EZ Drummer 3 it would sound way better.
There are programs you can use to get better backing tracks. Moises ai (web based) or RipX (software) to name a few

I think knowing what they use to remove the different instruments can also be a factor.

There are programs you can use to get better backing tracks. Moises ai (web based) or RipX (software) to name a few
Ahh duh. That makes a ton of sense now! FWIW; EZ Drummer can get a little lo-fi itself too. I battle it when I do clips once every 6 months :oops::cry::ROFLMAO:

Ultimate Guitar don't even let you download backing tracks. Play only.

I record them using Voicemeeter Banana. :clint

Ultimate Guitar don't even let you download backing tracks. Play only.

I record them using Voicemeeter Banana. :clint
You can download/export as midi for the drums.

But honestly looking in to the mentioned software. Makes a huge difference

You can download/export as midi for the drums.

But honestly looking in to the mentioned software. Makes a huge difference

I trialled RipX. I tried a Megadeth song and it didn't do too bad. But for some reason, instinctively, I reached for this Gojira song, somehow knowing it would have a hard time.

And I was right. It made a backing track full of weird artifacts with parts of instruments and ambient sounds - ie. the very high or low end - left in everywhere.

It seems to me if it's a simple enough track with just L&R guitars it does a good job, but if it's layered and complicated it doesn't know what to do.

You don't seem to be able to remove single guitars either. I wanted to make a backing track with just Julian's guitar removed here but it only had an option to remove guitar in general. And, again, it left bits of Bill Frisell's heavily fx-ed guitar all over the place.

I dunno. Maybe there's advanced settings I missed.

It seems to me if it's a simple enough track with just L&R guitars it does a good job, but if it's layered and complicated it doesn't know what to do.
I only used RipX sparingly but Moises has an "Other" category where the ambient parts seem to be which is handy.

Regardless, I still think you'll find the quality much better than Ultimate Guitar. Again, no offense but it just seems very low quality.

I only used RipX sparingly but Moises has an "Other" category where the ambient parts seem to be which is handy.

Regardless, I still think you'll find the quality much better than Ultimate Guitar. Again, no offense but it just seems very low quality.

It is low quality. I think it's just auto-generated off the tabs.

The bass fares a bit better but only because I re-amp it through the QC. It was really weak.

Anyway, there's another issue with backing tracks taken from the original song. Soundcloud detects it and deletes it citing copyright.

is low quality. I think it's just auto-generated off the tabs
I'm sure. So hence why I think you should look into Moises or stick with RipX because those wont be low quality.

But do whatever makes you happy! But to put the work in to make your covers and then have it be low quality just doesn't sound fun (to me).

Good take on the DLC topic… Goose brings up good points.

I get his theory on what "other companies" might do in terms of reverting to paid DLC, but being that there are really only two "other companies" (Sit this one out, Tonemaster Pro) at the QC pricepoint - Line 6 and Fractal - this probably won't come to pass in any significant way.

For Fractal, Cliff is driven by a passion for perfection and he loves to share his new creations/tweaks and fixes to the community at large. I just don't see him paywalling all of the new amps and FX he'll develop in the future. That being said, he does monetize stuff like future Dynacabs and IR cab packs. But he also includes so, so many in the factory firmware, they're just fun add-ons....not must-haves.

For Line 6, they have spent the entire lifespan of the Helix washing the paid DLC taste out of users' mouths after an abundance of it toward the end of the Pod XT era. In fact, they've used other product lines to essentially work out the kinks of content that they've turned around and given to HX for free (e.g. Catalyst amps, Metallurgy plugins).

I never say never, but I think NDSP will stay alone in prioritizing DLC. To be fair to them, as @Jynx noted in his screenshot.....they say they'll get back on the QC content train "after" 3.00.

But then again, they say lots of things and move goalposts all of the time, so.....:idk

I'm sure. So hence why I think you should look into Moises or stick with RipX because those wont be low quality.

But do whatever makes you happy! But to put the work in to make your covers and then have it be low quality just doesn't sound fun (to me).

My next cover is going to be Caligula's Horse and I have the proper, official backing track from Sheet Happens. The original song with all guitars removed but everything else, including singing, left. Excited to hear how it turns out.

I get his theory on what "other companies" might do in terms of reverting to paid DLC, but being that there are really only two "other companies" (Sit this one out, Tonemaster Pro) at the QC pricepoint - Line 6 and Fractal - this probably won't come to pass in any significant way.

For Fractal, Cliff is driven by a passion for perfection and he loves to share his new creations/tweaks and fixes to the community at large. I just don't see him paywalling all of the new amps and FX he'll develop in the future. That being said, he does monetize stuff like future Dynacabs and IR cab packs. But he also includes so, so many in the factory firmware, they're just fun add-ons....not must-haves.

For Line 6, they have spent the entire lifespan of the Helix washing the paid DLC taste out of users' mouths after an abundance of it toward the end of the Pod XT era. In fact, they've used other product lines to essentially work out the kinks of content that they've turned around and given to HX for free (e.g. Catalyst amps, Metallurgy plugins).

I never say never, but I think NDSP will stay alone in prioritizing DLC. To be fair to them, as @Jynx noted in his screenshot.....they say they'll get back on the QC content train "after" 3.00.

But then again, they say lots of things and move goalposts all of the time, so.....:idk
We have heard the term so many times buy it for what it does today
I think with NDSP that ring’s especially true if you are getting a QC in the hopes of running your Petrucci suite or Tone King plug in , I think you are buying it for the wrong reasons

If you want to get into just the capture game there is ToneX
And yes you will have to put up with IK’s ridiculousness but the price of admission is $180 - 399 vs 1699
So if your sole goal is captures and throwing that in front of something like and HX FX , then I think that is a good consideration

I can’t comment on the QC models because honestly it’s been so long since I owned one , some like the Freidman and 2203, 5153 red. Were very solid
I heard they replaced the SLO and the VH4 both of those I thought sucked at launch
Many love the JP2c , the Uber seems to be overall meh but again I would have to try it again

I guess with Fractal, and again this is postulation for the sake of discussion, is what happens when Cliff retires? I'd like to think he's got prodigies in the works. But then again, look what happened with Marshall when Jim kicked it. Not the best comparison but hopefully that makes sense.

But in the spirit of "in the now", I'm enjoying my little FM3 for what it does today. Slowly building up some new presets. No rush, just enjoying playing it and trying to not get into 'analysis paralysis'.

I'll ask this here instead of the Fractal Talk thread since we're talking captures...

The AxeFX III can do captures correct? If that's the case, can these theoretical captures done on an AFIII be loaded on an FM3 (or FM9 for that matter)?

I'll ask this here instead of the Fractal Talk thread since we're talking captures...

The AxeFX III can do captures correct? If that's the case, can these theoretical captures done on an AFIII be loaded on an FM3 (or FM9 for that matter)?
Yes to tone match, no to loading them on the other units. You can convert a tone match to an IR in some cases afaik but I don't know how far I would trust that process vs. using the tone match on the hardware it's compatible with. It's non-thing vs just grabbing one of the 4 bazillion amps and starting there instead imo.

Back