NDSP Quad Cortex

Ah - thanks.

That for me was a bit of a turn off honestly - assuming I'm understanding the definition of that correctly. I had 3 QCs so far, but somehow never keep them. The 'DLC' content (my interpretation of it) - being the userbase generated stuff - mostly is garbage. Levels all over the place. Unknown settings used when capturing if the person doesn't list it out in the file notes (most of them don't out of laziness). Poorly described captures. Worse is the amp+cab capture that you can't even use IRs with because the cab was already capture.

Side note: Blew out a 2i2 interface becuase of some cloud downloaded. shitty capture/preset (3rd gen). Now bought a 4th gen that has more protections I think. And it was from a well know artist too.

Anyways... I might be in the minority, but a user base of captures from unknown origins and settings has ZERO appeal to me. That's why despite the crap 'on-unit' interface (sorry guys! :) ) on the Fractal stuff, it's a more than worthy trade-off to have true well modeled amps that I can adjust the settings to my liking. With captures, you're stuck with the settings the capture-er used. Boost in his signal chain? Want to turn that off? Too bad!!

I don't get the appeal of captures at all. But I guess I also don't why people that can't even dial in their own presets. Is it truly a skill? Are people just dumb? Or just lazy?
You're not in a minority at all. Kemper was very successful because there were professional profile vendors who knew what they were doing and who became known quantities. Flying blind with meaningless names and zero notation, separating the wheat from the chaff, are major issues with all of the other capture platforms. QC has made some strides with categorization, but it's perhaps too little, and definitely too late. Not a deal-breaker (for me), but certainly painful.

Reactions: LCW
The larger topic (imo) is that they can’t aggressively support two content pipelines.
In my mind, once you have architectures aligned, having 2 revenue streams which partly share some stuff….is a formula for extra capabilities going forward compared to the competition. Proof of the pudding is in the eating…but in the long run it could strengthen both pipelines in my mind.

Sure, maybe. At the same time, the QC is already 3 years old - and its design significantly older than that. It doesn't seem like anyone else is even shooting for the same target in terms aesthetics, ease of use, (gulp) "elegance", etc. There's just no guarantee that the next generation of products will bridge that gap. If they do, I look forward to everyone howling about they ripped off CorOS, the same way they howled about NDSP ripping off HX... (Once again not holding my breath LOL.)

I liked the QC the time(s) I had it. The interface is truly superior IMO. However, the hardware while nice and the rotary pots on the switches is brilliant, it also felt sort of 'cheap'. I always thought of it as being some nice box with some sort of Android or Arduino device inside. The power button (which isn't really a button per se) and the power source connection aren't exactly pro level.

Sure, maybe. At the same time, the QC is already 3 years old - and its design significantly older than that. It doesn't seem like anyone else is even shooting for the same target in terms aesthetics, ease of use, (gulp) "elegance", etc. There's just no guarantee that the next generation of products will bridge that gap. If they do, I look forward to everyone howling about they ripped off CorOS, the same way they howled about NDSP ripping off HX... (Once again not holding my breath LOL.)
I'm honestly hoping that other companies aim higher. Quad Cortex was a bit of an obvious "take the best bits of what is out there and cram it into one box with a modern UI". Tone Master Pro is largely the same thing, but aimed at the player who is more modeler-averse than people on this board.

I'm especially interested in what Line6 does because I know they won't be just making "Helix with a touchscreen." If by the time whatever that is comes out NeuralDSP has elevated the QC, then great. Competition is good for all of us!

The skeptic in me says NDSP will instead go for the "want more stuff? Buy another plugin!" route for revenue, but then again I was wrong about them making an "app store" to sell captures and presets too...

In my mind, once you have architectures aligned, having 2 revenue streams which partly share some stuff….is a formula for extra capabilities going forward compared to the competition. Proof of the pudding is in the eating…but in the long run it could strengthen both pipelines in my mind.
Could also lead to cannibalizing themselves and causing customer confusion.

I don't get the appeal of captures at all.

I mostly agree with this and don't use captures myself that often and much prefer modelling. That said, the appeal is simply you can get captures of pedals, amps, and even non-NDSP plugins and modelers that aren't on the device. And when you get a good capture it can be pretty amazing. But, finding them is the tricky part. I pretty much never just randomly go in an search for captures. Almost all the ones I have it's because they were recommended or they came from someone on YouTube or elsewhere who demoed it.

I mostly agree with this and don't use captures myself that often and much prefer modelling. That said, the appeal is simply you can get captures of pedals, amps, and even non-NDSP plugins and modelers that aren't on the device. And when you get a good capture it can be pretty amazing. But, finding them is the tricky part. I pretty much never just randomly go in an search for captures. Almost all the ones I have it's because they were recommended or they came from someone on YouTube or elsewhere who demoed it.
That is a good point I wasn't thinking of - models that aren't (and may never be) available. The Fractal is extensive, but not all encompassing.

I'm honestly hoping that other companies aim higher. Quad Cortex was a bit of an obvious "take the best bits of what is out there and cram it into one box with a modern UI".
I don't know... I mean, "the best bits of what's out there", isn't that precisely what one would hope for??

And "with a modern UI" is no small detail. Apart from some minor refinements, I can't think of anything I'd want from the other companies that would differ significantly from CorOS organization and presentation.

That is a good point I wasn't thinking of - models that aren't (and may never be) available. The Fractal is extensive, but not all encompassing.
The FAS deep editing parameters probably make it damn near all-encompassing, but you have to really know what you're doing. (I do not LOL.)

That's why to me captures are not interesting unless they are captures of gear that I own, but don't want to haul around, or want to record easier etc. Other people's captures are the same as IRs where you need to dig around to find something you like, rather than dialing something to sound like you prefer.

The FAS deep editing parameters probably make it damn near all-encompassing, but you have to really know what you're doing. (I do not LOL.)
Same and I refuse to go down that rabbit hole. I why I tried and failed with an FM9 about a year ago (returned after a week). I was tweaking more than just enjoying playing. I'm using a different approach now with the FM3 and to be honest it's probably in part to having spent a bit of time on a QC and also briefly on a Helix Floor.

But hey - it's great that we have options and that the competition is healthy and pushing all the modeling players (companies) to step up their game.

That's why to me captures are not interesting unless they are captures of gear that I own, but don't want to haul around, or want to record easier etc. Other people's captures are the same as IRs where you need to dig around to find something you like, rather than dialing something to sound like you prefer.

What I use them mostly for is when I'm just practicing. I have a separate setlist called practice with a handful of generic presets with names like 'Jazz', 'Metal', 'Rock'. These presets mostly contain chains which are literally a single capture block. And that's it.

I really don't know what the fuck you want here. I feel like NDSP can't win. People complained about plugins for ages and now they are bringing them you're complaining that delivering the plugins is taking up too much resources.

I just can't with this shit... Lol.

I know you think it's nothing but Haterade City 'round these parts, but I feel like their massive "PCOM" initiative + adding some fringe "plugin" features common across all "X" plugins gets treated like any company that's rehashing older content.

Which is basically a shrug-to-positive reaction if it's accompanied by new goodness or skeptical scorn if it's not.

Line 6, for example, "ported" 70-something of their legacy effects in one batch on Helix firmware 2.5, but they paired it with 5 new HX reverbs, a new HX delay and also the Friedman BE100 and Mesa Lonestar in that same update. Shrug-to-positive reaction.

Headrush keeps zombifying Revalver, Eleven Rack and god knows what other dormant amp modeling IP they can acquire for cheap (What's next....Waves GTR?)? Skeptical scorn.

These NDSP plugins have been on the market for years and will only get older. Refreshing them with additional artists presets, doubler, etc. is cool and great for the people who bought them however long back.

It's just not going to be treated as fulfillment of NDSP's promise of "Very aggressive plans. Our pledge is that the collection of sounds will continue to grow, permanently."

Why I’d always want capturing in a device:
1- Content is user driven, no dependency on a manufacturer….anything that exists in the analog world can find its way to the device.
2- I can verify that digital is as good as analog by simply capturing something and compare. Idnk about you…but I always have this little devil on my shoulder that says “it’s not real…it’s not real”…capturing shuts its mouth ;)

Why I’d always want capturing in a device:
1- Content is user driven, no dependency on a manufacturer….anything that exists in the analog world can find its way to the device.
2- I can verify that digital is as good as analog by simply capturing something and compare. Idnk about you…but I always have this little devil on my shoulder that says “it’s not real…it’s not real”…capturing shuts its mouth ;)

Digital is a good as digital too. All my captures on the cloud are of other plugins like, recently, Bogren's AmpKnob. :clint

When A/B-ing them I could not tell the difference.

Digital is a good as digital too. All my captures on the cloud are of other plugins like, recently, Bogren's AmpKnob. :clint

When A/B-ing them I could not tell the difference.

Only my experience, but I could never capture NDSP plugins quite accurately when I had a QC. Every other type of plugin was pretty close and Fractal captures were decent-to-very good as well.

Any base amp tones from Nolly or Fortin Cali, tho? Garbage.

Only my experience, but I could never capture NDSP plugins quite accurately when I had a QC. Every other type of plugin was pretty close and Fractal captures were decent-to-very good as well.

Any base amp tones from Nolly or Fortin Cali, tho? Garbage.

Interesting. I captured Granophyre and some Plini cleans and it was spot on.

Above said, sometimes you do really get a killer capture like the Bad Cat Lynx I used for this.

When you render your tracks; do you render at 128k? Bring that up to 320 or wav quality and you'll notice an uptick in your results.

Back