Yacht Rock, smooth "jazz" with balls?

jazzarian

Roadie
I must admit the term "Yacht Rock" snuck up on me. If it includes folks like Jay Graydon, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Steve Lukather, Lee Ritenour, 20th century Santana...

count me in.

I love jazz in all its many forms, well except that atonal, avant garde, free jazz nonsense and the sappiest of the smooth stuff.

How many people know who Jay Graydon is? From my vantage point, the ultimate tone dog, and one hell of a straight ahead bebop guy as well. Master of the Eventide. Producer of George Benson and Al Jarreau's biggest hits. The guitarist Larry Carlton once said, "I want my son to play guitar like Jay Graydon when he grows up". True story.

When I think “yaught rock,” I think of a bunch of men in their 50’s wearing polos, kahki shorts, and penny loafers, sipping Coronas while listening to Steve Winwood, Super Tramp, and Dave Matthews (if they’re really trying to be hip).

I guess if you (Graydon) work that much with Christopher Cross, Air Supply, Leo Sayer, Olivia Newton-John, Helen Reddy, Manhattan Transfer etc. then the work with The Tubes gets overlooked.

When I think “yaught rock,” I think of a bunch of men in their 50’s wearing polos, kahki shorts, and penny loafers, sipping Coronas while listening to Steve Winwood, Super Tramp, and Dave Matthews (if they’re really trying to be hip).
Sorry, that's Tower of Power. They've been playing the song during ABC's coverage of the NBA.

Awww man.. Breakfast in America is one of the greatest albums of all time.

If Supertramp is Yacht, I don't wanna be right

Supertramp sucks, just like Stynx and Elton John's John.
We're in a fight now... just so you're aware
Big Brother Fight GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Back