What is the "CCV" tone?

Achilles

Rock Star
Never played one. Never heard one except Youtube crap.
Myasnikov make a CCV preamp - which I assume is voiced after the highest gain channel of the amp.

We talking hot-modded Marshall or is there more to it? Thanks.

qbtmgsvz5qjcpthblx0o.jpg

Never played one. Never heard one except Youtube crap.
Myasnikov make a CCV preamp - which I assume is voiced after the highest gain channel of the amp.

We talking hot-modded Marshall or is there more to it? Thanks.

qbtmgsvz5qjcpthblx0o.jpg
Lots of good information here, courtesy of @yek:

The CCV is the model closest to my Marshall with the Jose mod, as heard here:

1. Dan Gower Jose mod,a 1987 JCM 800
2. Same amp, Jose master pulled.
3.Axe-FX 2204 mod
4-Axe-FX Marshall #34
5. Axe-FX CCV 2B

Last edited:

Is that Brad King and his version of the CCV, with Mark Day and Tremonti? Crazy.

Never seen one in person and this could be wayyyy off, but I remember reading somewhere that the CCV tone is like a Mesa Mark style preamp with a Marshall power section. I could be off here, that’s just what I recall reading someone say.

Of course, then guys would just be buying up Triaxis preamps and putting into the effects returns of Marshalls.

It's a hot roded Marshall. Don't think all of them sounded the same as they voiced for the owners. Some darker, some brighter.
The stuff in the Fractal seems representative of the amp from what I could gather online.
The Salvation Audio Camerock module is also one take on that preamp but with the Drive switch added in which some CCVs had.
FWIW, the Ceriatone King Kong is supposedly built to be close to one of the CCVs Mark built.
I compared the King Kong to the models in the Fractal and they have that thing going on.

To me it’s a match between a JCM 800 2203 and a 5150, leaning heavily on the 800 side. The stringy attack is what makes it unique to my ears. Other modded marshalls (Friedman, Bogner, Hook, etc.) seem to get rid of that stringiness that the CCV has in spades.

To me it’s a match between a JCM 800 2203 and a 5150, leaning heavily on the 800 side. The stringy attack is what makes it unique to my ears. Other modded marshalls (Friedman, Bogner, Hook, etc.) seem to get rid of that stringiness that the CCV has in spades.
Yeah - that stringiness is what I like about those amps. They have a clear articulate attack.

Back