What do you wish you would’ve done differently?

(1). done way more singing for ear training purposes - some songs songs, but mostly along with my playing of scales, arpeggios, etc.; singing a lick back after playing it, etc.

(2). Learned way more songs.

(3). Made sure my noodling had some sort of harmonic context until my noodling got structured enough that I could give it its own harmonic context and/or hear the harmonic context in my head as I noodled. Still struggle with this one a bit.

Very little of it has anything to do with physical technique -- almost all of it is related to ear training in one way or another, really.

Absolutely zero point in being sad about something in the past, there ain't shit you can do about it now. :clint

Unless it's something with a way to fix now, in those rare occasions.

The usefulness of this thread is helping peeps that are just starting out, I 'spose? :unsure:
100% I openly embrace my shitty playing daily

Last edited:
There was no public use internet or any of the online stuff available back when I learned. That came much, much later. If I had access to what we have today back then, you would never have been able to get me out of the bedroom. I would have been permanently planted there in front of a computer with a guitar in my hands.
That’s very true
And the reason why you see these crazy virtuoso guitar players at 15 now , because there is so much great tuition
I remember I had some bad teachers
One jazz guy that would smack you if your wrist came fwd in front of the neck
Here I am trying to play some wide stretch Lynch stuff while keeping my wrist tucked behind the neck , honestly I ended up hurting my hand
And quit about 2 weeks later

I don't know. I think we are running the risk of overvaluing what is (overly) accessible
today, and don't realize that a lot of these epic teenage wankers can't write a hook,
song, groove, or melody to save their life. Literally!

Somehow the medium has gone from a 10 minute Classical Suite, down to a 3 minute
Pop Song, and now to a 30 Second Instagram Video or Youtube Short.

Is this really "progress." :idk

Like a Bow and Arrow, sometimes you have to go back in order to go forward. :beer

Back