Studio Treatment Thread

Update: This weekend, I installed the black ceiling acoustic panels and LED lighting. There's 8 LED lights and each have individual remote on/off switches that I wired receivers on to their electrical control boxes. I can change the lighting from a single LED to all 8 on super bright whenever the mood strikes me.

Attachments

• 20240415_110832.jpg
    20240415_110832.jpg
    946.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240414_131645.jpg
    20240414_131645.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240415_110959.jpg
    20240415_110959.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last part is in route. Two of these portable isolation walls/booths. They'll sit on the back wall and also will be used for vocal or acoustic guitar recording when needed.

GIK-Acoustics-PIB-Portable-Isolation-Booth-Hi-Res-compressor.jpg

Last update. Rear PIB panels installed. Room measurements completed and then corrections done with the Neumann MA 1 software. 1st screenshot shows initial measurements and auto alignment. 2nd screenshot shows corrections applied. A couple minor dips in the final aligned system curve, but pretty flat otherwise.
The whole room with the KH-150s sounds fantastic now. I'm very pleased :banana

Attachments

• Rear PIB Panels.jpeg
    Rear PIB Panels.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 04262024 MA 1 Alignment [intial].png
    04262024 MA 1 Alignment [intial].png
    299.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 04262024 MA 1 Alignment [Corrected].png
    04262024 MA 1 Alignment [Corrected].png
    353.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm getting the supplies to make acoustic panels tonight! Been meaning to do it for oh 20 years or so.

Big thing I've learned is how much my perceived issues with certain speakers is related to my room. Using the IK Arc correction, my speakers sound way better. I'm really interested to see how much more improvement I can get cleaning up the low end and reducing reverberation with proper treatment.

I'm planning to get some mineral wool insulation and 1x4's from the local hardware store, and then covering with canvas cloth from the fabric store. It won't be as effective as the mail order stuff but should help quite a bit. I'm going to make ten 15" x 47" panels.

I'm getting the supplies to make acoustic panels tonight! Been meaning to do it for oh 20 years or so.

Big thing I've learned is how much my perceived issues with certain speakers is related to my room. Using the IK Arc correction, my speakers sound way better. I'm really interested to see how much more improvement I can get cleaning up the low end and reducing reverberation with proper treatment.

I'm planning to get some mineral wool insulation and 1x4's from the local hardware store, and then covering with canvas cloth from the fabric store. It won't be as effective as the mail order stuff but should help quite a bit. I'm going to make ten 15" x 47" panels.
If you're able to rip plywood, I'd suggest going with plywood over 1x4s -- the 1x4s will work, but assuming your room has pretty decent humidity swings, the 1x4s will move a bit. Not enough to fail or anything, but CAN look a little wonky. And plywood would be cheaper. But either should work. Get lots of staples for the staple gun. Good luck! Totally worth the work/modest cash outlay.

If you're able to rip plywood, I'd suggest going with plywood over 1x4s -- the 1x4s will work, but assuming your room has pretty decent humidity swings, the 1x4s will move a bit. Not enough to fail or anything, but CAN look a little wonky. And plywood would be cheaper. But either should work. Get lots of staples for the staple gun. Good luck! Totally worth the work/modest cash outlay.

Definitely thought about it! But I don't have a table saw yet to rip plywood, just a circular saw to cut down boards. Usually with each project I use that as an excuse to start building up my tool collection, but I need to clean out my garage before I can have room for adding more stuff (although I am going to pick up a jigsaw today). Also, humidity should be good here as I have a dehumidifier in my basement which keeps things pretty consistent (we had moisture issues when we moved in).

Definitely thought about it! But I don't have a table saw yet to rip plywood, just a circular saw to cut down boards. Usually with each project I use that as an excuse to start building up my tool collection, but I need to clean out my garage before I can have room for adding more stuff (although I am going to pick up a jigsaw today). Also, humidity should be good here as I have a dehumidifier in my basement which keeps things pretty consistent (we had moisture issues when we moved in).
Honestly, I used a jigsaw to make mine!!! The wood is covered. Doesn't need to be pretty.

Sounds like you've got a plan. For future reference:

Screw or clamp a 2x4 (or other straight edge) to onto plywood; register the edge of your circular saw against the straight edge, and you'll get just as good results ripping as you do from most small job site table saws. Just takes a little more work to set everything up.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a plan. For future reference:

Screw or clamp a 2x4 (or other straight edge) to onto plywood; register the edge of your circular saw against the straight edge, and you'll get just as good results ripping as you do from most small job site circular saws. Just takes a little more work to set everything up.

Oh that's a really clever solution. I need to get a table saw and miter saw at some point anyway. I got a circular saw for the first time last year, and it has a laser guide which is helpful, but yeah a piece of wood clamped down would work well as a guide.

Well, I bought an MA-1 measurement mic which I used for about a week with the ATC's. The difference was just incredible and I couldnt get the thought of a fully integrated Neumann system out of my head. So the ATC's are out and these are in.
KH420.jpg

they big. until today I thought people who described speakers as breathtaking were just being C*nts. But this really is something else (and they offer a nice contrast to my nearfields.

Genuinely think the difference between KH80 or 120 with a sub and measurement mic and these 420's wouldn't be enormous, especially for most people's needs. I really like Sonarworks but this is just a whole level beyond.

Last edited:
Well, I bought an MA-1 measurement mic which I used for about a week with the ATC's. The difference was just incredible and I couldnt get the thought of a fully integrated Neumann system out of my head. So the ATC's are out and these are in.
View attachment 22460

they big. until today I thought people who described speakers as breathtaking were just being C*nts. But this really is something else (and they offer a nice contrast to my nearfields.

Genuinely think the difference between KH80 or 120 with a sub and measurement mic and these 420's wouldn't be enormous, especially for most people's needs. I really like Sonarworks but this is just a whole level beyond.
Cool. Did you rotate the tweeter and mid speaker for sideways mount?

Cool. Did you rotate the tweeter and mid speaker for sideways mount?
Yep. My desk is a bit big and having the 420's vertical would put the tweeter at an awkward height, or the speakers would just be firing into the desk. First time I actually heard 420's was in Manny Marroquins room at Larrabee (not that he used them), but they were oriented on their side and it took me a while to realise its the same speaker as they're usually done vertically.

really easy to rotate, just 4 screws and making sure its sealed right.

Since I had great success with the Neumann system, I decided to try the IK ARC Studio system with my old Event PS6 monitors. Interestingly, the test results I got were very close to the Neumann measurements. Difference mainly being the more extreme dip at about 75Hz. I think this can attributed to the Events being placed on top of the Neumanns and are firing in a more downward direction.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

Last edited:
Back