BOSS Katana GO

So apparently these are discontinued now. Was reading it may have something to do with chip availability and they will have to release a new version to replace. Pretty odd situation for a company like Boss - I’m glad I snagged one before they ran out. Looks like a few retailers still have some stock.

The very odd thing is:
  • It looks like stores with inventory are not letting people buy it. If it was a part issue, they would keep on selling what they had.
  • They took down the product page art Boss (and other sites). If it is was a part issue, would they just say it was on backorder?

Coincidentally, there are teasers and leaked specs for Katana III. I don't think they are related, but the timing is close.

Yes very unusual - if there is some kind of issue with the battery or something like that, hopefully more info is forth coming - it's a really cool product so hopefully they resolve whatever the issue is.

One of my local GCs had one last weekend. May go by there tomorrow so I’ll look and see…

The unit I purchased was very sensitive to noise. Not sure if it was an isolated issue or not. I sent it back and got tired of waiting for it to be restocked, so I canceled the order.

Time for rampant speculation:
What if the feedback issue with the Loopback setting on the GO (could) hurt someone's eardrums. Would Boss react the way they did and pull the device off the shelf with a convenient explanation.

Again this is unfounded and not a responsible thing to say in this forum.

Here's what I know about the Loopback Setting:

The loopback seems to feedback if you try to use it with a software modeler (Guitar -> GO -> usb -> Computer -> GO -> Headphones).

My guess is it changes the location the USB input (output from your computer) to come into the front of the signal chain. Unfortunately the USB output (input from the GO) is still the same as before, the fully processed signal. If both input and output are connected as above, you get feedback.

I think you could use it for reamping a dry sound: recorded dry guitar on Computer -> GO -> Headphones

That is not very useful. More useful would be to be a mode that sends the dry guitar signal to the USB and disables the GO's processed sound from going to the headphone out (and treating the USB return as a an aux signal).

Time for rampant speculation:
What if the feedback issue with the Loopback setting on the GO (could) hurt someone's eardrums. Would Boss react the way they did and pull the device off the shelf with a convenient explanation.

Again this is unfounded and not a responsible thing to say in this forum.

Here's what I know about the Loopback Setting:
Hmm… is that a common issue? Could in be something corrected via software?

My first speculation was that they’re in a trademark dispute.

Hmm… is that a common issue? Could in be something corrected via software?

Almost certainly the loopback could be fixed in software ... and be made to be more useful for monitoring a daw/modeler.

I doubt this is the issue. Shame we can't use the Go as a true interface to a modeler.

Last edited:
1000047036.jpg

Can't wait. Discontinued or not, here I come

Is it just me, or are the drive models on this unit just awesome! Ofcourse, none of them sound great when cranked all the way up (which is normal even for most physical drive pedals I am sure), but coming from the Helix family, the Katana drives collection just seems so versatile. The light overdrives are very touch sensitive, esp. the blues driver, warm od, tube screamer, mid boost etc. The distortion drives like dst+, distortion (Ds1 I think?), guv'nor, rat etc. are very good and get the job done, and the heavier ones are great as well for those styles.

The chorus and some of the other mods are the among best I have heard, the delays are awesome as well. Reverbs are good, but wish they gave stereo. All in all just having so much fun exploring and playing through this unit. Apart from HX Stomp, this is the best piece of creative, song writing and practice tool I have ever invested in.

Is it just me, or are the drive models on this unit just awesome! Ofcourse, none of them sound great when cranked all the way up (which is normal even for most physical drive pedals I am sure), but coming from the Helix family, the Katana drives collection just seems so versatile. The light overdrives are very touch sensitive, esp. the blues driver, warm od, tube screamer, mid boost etc. The distortion drives like dst+, distortion (Ds1 I think?), guv'nor, rat etc. are very good and get the job done, and the heavier ones are great as well for those styles.

Reverbs are good, but wish they gave stereo.

The reverbs are in stereo if you turn off stage feel AFAIK.

I need to play with the drives a bit more. There's a variety of them, they do lead to different sounds, but there's something missing for me. Feels like they go to velcro clicks too easily or compress too much or something. I'm not the best person to rate drives....

Last edited:
Was able to connect the MVave Chocolate footswitch via a Widi Jack to the Katana Go via wireless midi.

The Widi was set up with an auto group that will connect to any device that wants to connect.

The Chocolate can send sysex to turn on/off boost, mod, fx, and solo. I used the FxFloorboard project to find the commands. Details at the bottom. Note that the Chocolate's bluetooth implementation is pretty bad and only connects to other MVave devices and computers, and phones. Hence the Widi jack.

I was not able to use the app assignable buttons for the Boss FS-1-WL. Tried lots of things. Perhaps someone who has one can capture the midi from the FS-1-WL (or EV-1-WL). I tried what's documented as default in the manual but that's apparently not what it uses when connecting to a Boss device.

Note that while only one device can connect to the Go wireless via Midi, you can also connect via USB at the same time. This allowed me to use the Katana Tone Studio app at the same time as the footswitch. The app won't notice changes made by the footswitch, but otherwise it works.

Code:
Boost On/Off
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 00 01 2F F7
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 00 00 30 F7

Modulation On/Off
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 01 01 2E F7
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 01 00 2F F7

FX On/Off
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 02 01 2D F7
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 00 30 02 00 2E F7

Solo On/Off
F0 41 10 01 05 0D 12 20 01 50 00 01 0E F7