Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

I have a question about pickups. I recently bought a used Knaggs Severn with wiring that was in sorry condition. The pickup configuration on the guitar is H-S-H. The original humbuckers were removed and replaced by unbranded pickups. I did some research and, based upon numbers stamped on the back, I believe that the pickups are an old set (vintage?) of Maxon pickups. But I'm not 100% on this. Regardless, I don't like how they sound and they only have two conductor wires. The original pikcups were David Allen P51 humbuckers, according to Peter Wolf at Knaggs customer support. I'm considering replacement options. David Allen pickups would be a first choice, but their website doesn't specify whether the P51 pickups have two or four conductor wires, and no one from this company has responded to inquiries about how the P51s are configured. I want 4 conductor wires because I intend to replace the installed 5-way switch with a Seymour Duncan hyperswitch. I have a Knaggs Kenai that also has a factory installed set of DAllen P51 pickups. I like the P51s a lot. They are low output, have an open, chimey top end, and break up really nicely, with lots of harmonics. According to the Knaggs website, the Knaggs Severn currently ships with Bare Knuckle pickups. But man, Bare Knuckle pickups are expensive. A set would run roughly $400, about twice as much as a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, which is on my short list. I'm not sold that the Pearly Gates are a best choice. I've been down the replacement pickup rabbit hole many times over the years. I figured that I'd ask whether you have any thoughts on other pickups to take a look at that fit the tone profile of how I described the P51s. I also want to replace the center single coil. With a H-S-H pickup configuration, I'm not sure if RWRP is the best option, or just a regular wind. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just a regular wind on the single coil is normal for hsh with coil taps. Have you considered the BK Boot camp range ? They are four conductor units as good as the regular ones but fewer options. Hand wound still and excellent also a lot cheaper.

Just a regular wind on the single coil is normal for hsh with coil taps. Have you considered the BK Boot camp range ? They are four conductor units as good as the regular ones but fewer options. Hand wound still and excellent also a lot cheaper.
I'll check out the BK Boot camp range. I haven't heard of these before. I'll take a look.

Old guard are a great PAF style but with short legs and four conductors. With or without covers and a third cheaper than the standard ones. No difference in quality. Phone Tim .

Back